vs. BLUE JAYS 5/29

OFFNY

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not sure how much you know about ADD, and I don't mean to tell you anything you don't already know.

But there's nothing about baseball (or baseball organizations) that lead me to believe it would somehow be sensitive to the issue - I mean, I'm not sure why a coach would notice ADD, or even how a coach would know what to look for. Indeed, baseball culture is notoriously slow to notice all sorts of anomalous/problematic mental issues - including issues much more obvious than ADD. I would expect, at 25 or whatever, a diagnosis of ADD would have been a lot more likely w/in the structure of a classroom than baseball's culture.

(I'm not sure how ADD would impact an athlete, either, game-wise. In retrospect, I was attracted to sports as a kid (including baseball) at least in part because its fixed-but-fluid environment created a space where my ADD wasn't intrusive. Not sure how this changes as the game gets more and more difficult, and faster and faster.)

With adults, ADD is pretty rarely diagnosed until some kind of (i) failure; or (more likely) (ii) some kind of legal trouble. Essentially, coping mechanisms that are built up over a lifetime stop being enough. There's a ton of co-morbidity w/ ADD, as well.

I dont know much. If anything I would think people in the education field might be more attuned to it.

I'm not sure how much you know about ADD, and I don't mean to tell you anything you don't already know.

But there's nothing about baseball (or baseball organizations) that lead me to believe it would somehow be sensitive to the issue - I mean, I'm not sure why a coach would notice ADD, or even how a coach would know what to look for. Indeed, baseball culture is notoriously slow to notice all sorts of anomalous/problematic mental issues - including issues much more obvious than ADD. I would expect, at 25 or whatever, a diagnosis of ADD for Davis would have been a lot more likely while growing up, w/in the structure of a classroom, than by baseball's culture.

(I'm not sure how ADD would impact an athlete, either, game-wise. In retrospect, I was attracted to sports as a kid (including baseball) at least in part because its fixed-but-fluid environment created a space where my ADD wasn't intrusive. Not sure how this changes as the game gets more and more difficult, and faster and faster.)

With adults, ADD is pretty rarely diagnosed until some kind of (i) failure; or (more likely) (ii) some kind of legal trouble/crisis/etc. (To me, any field that require sustained intellectual work, across varying levels of interest, would generally be more likely to provide the moments of failure that provoke diagnosis.) Essentially, coping mechanisms that are built up over a lifetime stop being enough. There's a ton of co-morbidity w/ ADD, as well.

I am sure you know more about it then I do. I do not suffer from it. I don't even know if ADD and ADHD are the same clinical diagnosis or not.

7.86% of MLB players are prescribed drugs for ADHD, which is almost twice the rate in the general population.

Evidently they know something about diagnosing it.

(I understand there are phony cases both inside and outside MLB).

I am sure you know more about it then I do. I do not suffer from it. I don't even know if ADD and ADHD are the same clinical diagnosis or not.

7.86% of MLB players are prescribed drugs for ADHD, which is almost twice the rate in the general population.

Evidently they know something about diagnosing it.

(I understand there are phony cases both inside and outside MLB).

Sounds to me that they know something about prescribing it. I mean, there are some reasons it would be higher than in the general populace (treatment goes up w/ affluence, after all.)

ADD and ADHD aren't the same diagnosis, but the treatments don't vary much.

Sorry to add to the wet blankets but yes, this is the team I used to watch. I wondered where they'd been. Seen em all weekend long.

Expecting us to sink slowly but surely to the bottom of the division without aplomb while continuing to commit errors at a League-leading rate, striking out regularly, leaving a lot of men on base, often via the double-play, and not having our starters get beyond 6 -- often 5, so that we continue to force bullpen innings at, again, a League-leading rate.

Makes me so sad.

Well...let's see......the Macphail plan was always contingent upon Arrieta and Matusz both becoming top starters and that sure has not happened yet....guess we will see if the Dylan Bundy era turns out any better...in a year or two.

Yes, it looks like mcPhail's cavalry has the looks of Custer's at the Little Big Horn.

Archived