Attendance to Date: 12.5% Over 2011

TonySoprano

Another spike for the statue game 17,277/40,456/20,935

To be honest, I wasn't sure they'd get to 20,000 today.

I really feel sorry for the people who had tickets last night who couldn't wait out. There were a lot of families there with small kids who waited patiently for a couple of hours but eventually had to give up. I waited out the whole thing, but now I'm dragging.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To be honest, I wasn't sure they'd get to 20,000 today.

I really feel sorry for the people who had tickets last night who couldn't wait out. There were a lot of families there with small kids who waited patiently for a couple of hours but eventually had to give up. I waited out the whole thing, but now I'm dragging.

I'm not ashamed to say I bailed.

I didn't think the rain was going to end when it did. and didn't feel like getting stuck through another delay in the middle of the game.

Especially when I have a porch, beer and a radio.

These statue games are interesting. I believe that the attendance of the games surrounding the statue games get affected. Especially if it is an opponent like KC or Seattle. Limited resources, pick your game, people that might normally have gone to some of those weekday games go Saturday instead.

Attendance for the homestand is now 152,823. To get to my 255,000 projection, they will have to draw at least 102,177 against the Red Sox. It's possible, but I'm guessing they will fall short.

I'd be curious to see if the Red Sox' fans continue to travel well with their team at 57-59 this late in the year.

I'd be curious to see if the Red Sox' fans continue to travel well with their team at 57-59 this late in the year.

I think getting 75,000 for all three games would be optimistic. Does WBAL do a good job covering the Orioles? I am coming home from the yard and WBAL has on the Ravens practice. I wanted to hear about the O's game but had to tune to 105.7, Play br play of a practice on the radio. Maybe they can put the Equestrian events of the Olympics on the radio next time. It is still a Raven town and the O's still have not won back alot of the fans who have deserted the team.

I think getting 75,000 for all three games would be optimistic.

I have the impression that many tickets to NY and Boston games are sold before the season even begins. So, while Boston has had a lackluster season so far, I'd still expect attendance to be a lot higher than for a Mariners or Royals series. grimed1 usually seems to have some knowledge of how sales are going, so if he says 25,000 per game is optimistic I will give that some credence. But I would still be a bit surprised if attendance was that low.

OFFNY has been very dismissive of the Red Sox lately, and I will just say that it is too early to count them out. They are six games behind us, which is not that enormous of a deficit. They need to go at least 30-16 the rest of the way to be in the hunt. That is a pretty tall order, but I suspect they will make a run somewhere along the way and I'd rather it wasn't against us.

177,007 for the home stand so far. Clearly I was too optimistic. I'm a bit disappointed that the fan base isn't turning out in bigger numbers. This home stand will still end up 25% or so higher than the comparable one last year.

Three remaining homestands after this one:

Friday, Aug. 24 - Sunday, Aug. 26 Toronto; Monday, Aug. 27 - Thursday, Aug. 30 Chicago

Thursday, Sept. 6 - Sunday, Sept. 9 New York; Tuesday, Sept. 11 - Thursday, Sept. 13 Tampa

Monday, Sept. 24 - Wednesday, Sept. 26 Toronto; Friday, Sept. 28 - Sunday, Sept. 30 Boston

Obviously, the playoff race will have a pretty big impact on what kind of attendance the O's get from here. The longer the O's stay in it, the better attendance will be. But I'd expect the Yankee four-game weekend series and the Red Sox three game weekend series to draw big numbers no matter what.

At the low end, I'd guess 495,000 for these 20 dates for a total attendance of about 2,050,000 for the year. At the high end I'd guess 620,000 for a total of 2,175,000.

Archived