Orioles are "going hard" after Zack Greinke

Greg

Is there a good precedent for a team trading for a big name player and also signing him to a long term deal? I don't recall as many trades as you guys do, but I feel like most of the time it does indeed turn out to be a rental.

If this is going to be a rental, I wouldn't even want us to give up B prospects.

If this can be a long term deal, neither of the big 2 but anything else goes.

I don't see it happening and I'm probably in the camp that doesn't want anything to do with a rental.

Johan Santana, Adrian Gonzalez.

Granted, neither of them signed with the Orioles.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Except there are suspicions within the organization, according to people here, that Lino might be old enough to drink in the state of Maryland, and not really a teenager.

And possible old enough to have fathered a nine year old. I kid, I kid. Or do I.

John kruk on bb tonight just said something like "if the O's can get greinke for anything other than machado or bundy we should do it." He said Baltimore is a perfect fit for him. I know this doesn't mean squat but it's interesting that the national media is talking about this rumor.

You do not recall correctly. Hardy could have been traded after he signed the deal last season. His limited NTC did not kick in until after the season was over. AM had a gentleman's agreement to not trade him during the season.

That gentlemen's agreement is the definition of "no-brainer". I doubt either AM or BS had the slightest intention of trading Hardy from the start, unless a contract extension was impossible.

John kruk on bb tonight just said something like "if the O's can get greinke for anything other than machado or bundy we should do it." He said Baltimore is a perfect fit for him. I know this doesn't mean squat but it's interesting that the national media is talking about this rumor.

John Kruk's never been right in the head since Randy Johnson buzzed the tower in '93.:laughlol:

Duquette committed to a winning season. So there is that.
I'm all for picking up pieces to help cement a winning season. However, I'd rather go after a guy that the O's would have control of for next season instead of a pure 2-month rental. I think you can make moves for this season as well as for the short-term future, and that's what I'd like to see if they're going to be "buyers". No, I don't have a list of players I'd go after that fit my criteria; I'm just spitballing from the top of my head. For the most part, I like what Duquette has done, and I have already said I'd like to give him a full two years to really evaluate things. I'll take that same wait-and-see approach with Duquette this trade deadline as well. I think we're more than a Grienke away from making the playoffs, and I think he's the kind of player you get for a playoff run, not for a .500 run, but what do I know?

I'm all for picking up pieces to help cement a winning season. However, I'd rather go after a guy that the O's would have control of for next season instead of a pure 2-month rental. I think you can make moves for this season as well as for the short-term future, and that's what I'd like to see if they're going to be "buyers". No, I don't have a list of players I'd go after that fit my criteria; I'm just spitballing from the top of my head. For the most part, I like what Duquette has done, and I have already said I'd like to give him a full two years to really evaluate things. I'll take that same wait-and-see approach with Duquette this trade deadline as well. I think we're more than a Grienke away from making the playoffs, and I think he's the kind of player you get for a playoff run, not for a .500 run, but what do I know?

Good points, but I actually think we would have to give up a lot more if we wanted someone inder control beyond this year.

How about the following:

Matusz, Steve Johnson, Bridwell & Esposito for Headley

Arrieta, Strop, & Hoes for Greinke (48hr extension window)

That is a lot to give up but you still have the big 4: Bundy, Machado, Schoop & Delmonico. And Gausman when he signs.

This would be a nice team:

2B Andino

3B Headley

RF Markakis

CF Jones

C Wieters

1B Davis (His value is highest at first)

SS Hardy

DH Reynolds/Thome/Betemit

LF X

Greinke

Hammel

Chen

Tilman

Gonzo

How about the following:

Matusz, Steve Johnson, Bridwell & Esposito for Headley

Arrieta, Strop, & Hoes for Greinke (48hr extension window)

That is a lot to give up but you still have the big 4: Bundy, Machado, Schoop & Delmonico. And Gausman when he signs.

This would be a nice team:

2B Andino

3B Headley

RF Markakis

CF Jones

C Wieters

1B Davis (His value is highest at first)

SS Hardy

DH Reynolds/Thome/Betemit

LF X

Greinke

Hammel

Chen

Tilman

Gonzo

I like it. A lot. But, I want a better option at 2b. I don't think Andino is the answer.

I think the Padres get a better offer for Headley. I don't think Johnson or Esposito have a lot of value.

I agree. I think prospective trade partners are going to push hard to get guys like Schoop, Avery, Britton and Tillman from the O's since Bundy / Machado are off limits.

I don't think the O's can get players like Headley & Grienke for a bunch of B- / C prospects headlined by a single high upside pitching prospect recently demoted to the minors.

Archived