Rosenthal on Gausman and Bundy

wildcard

We talked about this last week and I said lets see how Gausman is doing after three or four more appearances. If I'm Buck i'm liking him too much to send to Bowie or Norfolk and would start the season with him. We all know the hitters struggle in April due to the cold weather in most places. The hitters are wearing extra layers and him throwing upper 90's and mixing with pitches in the low 80's will make it extremely difficult for hitters to make contact and his K's should continue to be high. His line yesterday against Bostons regulars was 2 innings, 0 hits, 0 walks, 0 runs and 3 k's. We need to get off to a good start in April. Has anyone noticed the box scores lately for the NYY? They are struggling to score runs and getting very few hits. Anemic lineup currently?

I think that they send him to Bowie for a number of reasons, even if they feel that he is ready.

1. I think that they will have enough good starters at the majors to start the year, so why rush Gausman when you won't need him. Then when injuries and other starters struggle (hopefully this doesn't happen), then call up Gausman.

2. Gausman will still be under an innings cap this year. If they take him north as a starter, then he will reach his innings limit much earlier in the season like Strasburg did last year. In Bowie, they can limit his innings per start easier and save him for the rest of the season to replace an injured starter or a starter that is struggling. So they can bring him up mid-season and have him on the team until the end of the year.

3. Let him continue to improve and gain confidence in all of his pitches in the minors where there is less pressure. It is much easier to experiment with those pitches in the minors.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This. I was positive that Matusz, Britton, Tillman, Arrieta, and Bergman would be our rotation for years.

I've accepted that I don't know a damn thing and that I should just let it play out.

How quickly they're forgotten....

What? No place for a good film director in the rotation?

I believe this quote is referring to the game that Bundy was throwing in the low 90's, right? I have been a little higher on Gausman than Bundy, but I suspect their stuff will be pretty comparable in quality (not shape), with Gausman's change being the best pitch of them all but Bundy probably mixing in more plus #3 offerings.

Gausman, in the opinion of Gomes and others, actually is ahead of Bundy. That’s not a big surprise, considering that Gausman was drafted out of LSU and Bundy out of high school — and, that at 6-foot-4, Gausman is three inches taller. Still, when the two pitched back-to-back against the Red Sox on March 9 — first Bundy, then Gausman — Gomes said the difference was “night and day.”

Gomes allowed that it was only spring training, and that Bundy was perhaps at less than his best (Bundy started and allowed one unearned run in two innings, while Gausman pitched three scoreless). But in Gomes’ view, Gausman clearly had superior stuff.

I think that they send him to Bowie for a number of reasons, even if they feel that he is ready.

1. I think that they will have enough good starters at the majors to start the year, so why rush Gausman when you won't need him. Then when injuries and other starters struggle (hopefully this doesn't happen), then call up Gausman.

2. Gausman will still be under an innings cap this year. If they take him north as a starter, then he will reach his innings limit much earlier in the season like Strasburg did last year. In Bowie, they can limit his innings per start easier and save him for the rest of the season to replace an injured starter or a starter that is struggling. So they can bring him up mid-season and have him on the team until the end of the year.

3. Let him continue to improve and gain confidence in all of his pitches in the minors where there is less pressure. It is much easier to experiment with those pitches in the minors.

And given those points, service time considerations can not be ignored. You definitely want that extra year if Gausman is really that good.

If Gausman eventually proves to be even better than Bundy, I'm fine with that. Who cares whether Bundy is #1 and Gausman #2 or the other way around. Either way, it looks like we've got some outstanding pitching in the house. If some combo of Gausman, Bundy and Tillman prove to be legitimate #'s 1-3, we will be able to fill out the last spots in the rotation with some combination of in-house talent, ie. Britton, Arrieta, Matusz, Johnson, Wright, etc. or mid-level free agents, see the Joe Saunders and Kyle Lohse's of the world.

And, given the long-term presence of Jones, Wieters, Machado and even Chris Davis, if young guys like Schoop and Flaherty can be quality major league players, not necessarily stars, I think the future really looks bright. Tell the Ravens that they can have Sunday afternoons, but the nights belong to the Orioles!!

I'm absolutely pumped for Gausman. Wonder how Gausman's ascendency will impact the decision with Jason Hammel?

When healthy last year, Hammel was a #2 at worst. That's a guy you want to retain, as long as at the right price.

So does DD try to extend mid-season, or deal him mid-season? Or if the O's are in the hunt, do you keep him knowing full well that there will likely be a bidding war in the offseason.

DD certainly has a lot of flexibility and options here...I just hope he makes the right decisions.

Which of our starting 4 of Hammel, Chen, Gonzo, or Tillman, would you want to replace with Gausman? Which of Matusz, Britton, Arrieta, Johnson, Jurjjens, would you skip over for the #5 spot and replace with Gausman? Why not have Gausman up at the end of the season when we will really need him and he has the innings left to give up? Why not let him work on his slider in the MiL so when he does come up he will be Verlander? Why not let these other SP have a shot to see what their value can become for trade?Why compare Gausman and Bundy? Lets see what Bundy is like in two years.

If Gausman eventually proves to be even better than Bundy, I'm fine with that. Who cares whether Bundy is #1 and Gausman #2 or the other way around. Either way, it looks like we've got some outstanding pitching in the house.

It didn't bother me when Mike Mussina turned out to be better than Ben McDonald, even though McDonald was the no. 1 overall pick and Moose was no. 20 overall the next year. So, this certainly wouldn't bother me. But it would be nice if one of them turned into a true, reliable ace, which we haven't had since Mussina left town.

I'm absolutely pumped for Gausman. Wonder how Gausman's ascendency will impact the decision with Jason Hammel?

When healthy last year, Hammel was a #2 at worst. That's a guy you want to retain, as long as at the right price.

So does DD try to extend mid-season, or deal him mid-season? Or if the O's are in the hunt, do you keep him knowing full well that there will likely be a bidding war in the offseason.

DD certainly has a lot of flexibility and options here...I just hope he makes the right decisions.

If Hammel appears healthy, and he would sign a 3/30 type deal, I'd absolutely lock him up.

Hammel normally has good first halves and bad 2nd halves. So to sign him before he shows what he has in the 2nd half is probably not the best strategy.

And there is the always important service time and 40 man roster spot to factor in.

Archived