Freddy Garcia Today, 2013

OFFNY

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Tides got their first win of the year after starting the season with 3 losses.

This was the second game of a doubleheader, so it (along with the first game, in which Zach Britton started) was a 7-inning game.

Daniel Schlereth pitch 2 scoreless inning to get the W.

I was at the game last night. Granted, I didn't get in the park until the third inning, but from my vantage, Freddy is finished. I didn't see one pitch faster than 86-87. He threw a lot of junk and looked very hittable.

As I waited after the game by the visitors entrance (waiting for my daughter, not stalking the players), I saw him walk out by himself, quietly sign a couple autographs and get on the bus. He looked to be walking like a very old man. I never realized how bow-legged he is. Anyhow, I would guess he will not see Charm City this year unless something catastrophic occurs.

I think the Hendrickson experiment will end at about the same time.

Actually, I was pleasantly surprised by Hendrickson. He was throwing the same speed as Freddy, but with his new delivery. He also threw strikes and hit his targets. He worked quick, too (I forgot to mention Freddy could take a long time between pitches...yawn).

6 shutout innings, then he gave up a run with 2 outs in the 7th. He got 2 out in the 8th before being removed.

FREDDY GARCIA O (vs. AAA-Gwinnett, 4/17)

IP:. 7.67

H:o 4

R:O 1

BB: 0

SO: 3

Pitches: 96 (62 Strikes, 34 Balls)

2013 ERA: 3.57 (AAA-Norfolk)

Well I think Stinson is just making a spot start and the start monday against Seattle is up for grabs. Garcia looks like the best option to me right now. He was only said to be with us for 5-6 starts anyway, so this is a perfect opportunity to see what he has. When Johnson get's stretched out I think it's his job to lose. With Jurrgens and Britton I just think they both need to have some longer and consistent success at this point. Hopefully Johnson or Wada will nail down the spot by June 1st.

We have to make a 40-man move to bring Freddy up, right? Sure seems like he's a nice candidate for the 5th man spot. I'd like Britton and Arrieta getting significant time with Peterson in Norfolk.

Yeah-Garcia is not on the 40-man. Couldn't agree more about Arrieta and Britton. I personally like what they are doing, next man up. Garcia should be that next man with his opt-out.

Garcia is making the O's think long and hard about whether they want to lose him. Though he pitched well according to his pitching line Charlotte is a pretty bad team right now. I think Stinson gets his shot and how long is stays with the O's depends on how he pitches. Could be one start. Could be more. Interesting situation to follow. On the 40 man, Exposito may be the most vulnerable to be DFA'd. Then again is Stinson blows up today he could be DFA'd.

Archived