Gausman Wasn't Ready, Now What?

Rene88

I agree with the polish comment. And the possibility he's tipping pitches.

When he was "on" last night, fleeting as it was between the barrage, it really did look like he just had a bad start to the game and had found a groove. The pitches moved and had some sizzle. He wasn't getting it by them, but they were getting horrible contact. Seeing that was encouraging, albeit watching the rest was wrenching. If he is tipping pitches, I hope someone catches it on the tape.

Personally, I'd give him a little latitude, but very little. He's got another scheduled start, my thinking is give him, as the expression goes, enough rope to hang himself. If he has a similar outing as last night, a decision has to be made about what to do, either let him work it on in the pen, or in the minors.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
His first two mlb starts. He deserves more opportunities. Ut seems like the opposing teams always know whats coming. Im not sure if thats something gausman is doing or something weiters is calling.

I don't know but I am not sure I would give him anymore starts. To me it is best

to send him back to AA. He may the TOR but not this season. IMO

Gausman isn't missing any bats. How many swinging strikes did he get tonight, and how many were on fastballs? His fastball doesn't seem to move much, IMO.

Answering my own question: Gausman induced two swings-and-misses all night, one of which came on a fastball. The Nats were on his stuff all night.

Electric stuff with solid control. He needs polish. I think he may be tipping his pitches, also.

????, as yet he has shown neither. His fastball is thrown effortlessly, with great velocity, but doesn't fool good hitters. Lind and JP whatever in Toronto had no difficulty with him. He failed to make adjustments the second time around. His strike to ball ratio has not been what he had shown at Bowie. The plus change up has been pretty much non-existent to date. It doesn't mean all the above won't get better, it probably will. No matter where he pitches he has to make the big league adjustment. Can he make the adjustment by throwing in the minors or is it better to learn it at the ML level? Can the team afford to have him learn at this level? Frankly, I'd take my chances with one of the J boys for the time being.

He has good stuff but still, even with the 97 mph fastball, even the worst hitters don't swing and miss it. They foul it, foul it, then hit the hanging slider. He pitches like Jake thus far. I have yet to see the outstanding swing and miss change that he reportedly has and his slider is not good yet. He will be good, but he isn't at the moment. And it really does seem hitters know what is coming.

This. My perception without the data to back it was that he was getting ahead of hitters but lacked the put away pitch. They kept fouling off decent pitches waiting for the mistake. 2 swings and misses with his stuff is incomprehensible. for whatever reason he lacked the put away pitch last night. lets hope he learns from that or sunday could be ugly

To me, it is clear we need to go outside the organization. This should have been done in the offseason but that is water under the bridge at this point. Just pick up the phone.

Something needs to be done.

I don't think it is that easy. Lee would be expensive. Do you have any idea who

you would like to see come to the O's? I don't keep up with pitchers from other

teams. I just saw Lee mentioned before.

Dempsey said after the game that he only threw one changeup all night. Also said he got fastball happy and maybe Wieters should have made him throw more changeups.

Dempsey, as usual, has no idea what he was talking about. Gausman threw plenty of changeups. However, I did think Wieters was a little fastball-happy in the first inning, when he called 14 fastballs in 18 pitches. Sometimes I think he takes the "establish the fastball" mantra too literally.

????, as yet he has shown neither. His fastball is thrown effortlessly, with great velocity, but doesn't fool good hitters. Lind and JP whatever in Toronto had no difficulty with him. He failed to make adjustments the second time around. His strike to ball ratio has not been what he had shown at Bowie. The plus change up has been pretty much non-existent to date. It doesn't mean all the above won't get better, it probably will. No matter where he pitches he has to make the big league adjustment. Can he make the adjustment by throwing in the minors or is it better to learn it at the ML level? Can the team afford to have him learn at this level? Frankly, I'd take my chances with one of the J boys for the time being.

I have to disagree on the ball to strike ratio. He has been throwing a lot of strikes and I think to many. He was ahead a bunch last night but was then throwing a hittable pitch in the strike zone. The good strikeout pitchers get ahead in the count just like Gausman did and then throw something off the plate to get the batter to chase. The first two starts he has thrown 155 pitches and 105 stirkes which is a very good ratio and maybe to many strikes. It look to me everything was a stirke or way up and away in the zone nothing that started in the zone and then moved out of the zone which is where you get most of the k's.

I have to disagree on the ball to strike ratio. He has been throwing a lot of strikes and I think to many. He was ahead a bunch last night but was then throwing a hittable pitch in the strike zone. The good strikeout pitchers get ahead in the count just like Gausman did and then throw something off the plate to get the batter to chase. The first two starts he has thrown 155 pitches and 105 stirkes which is a very good ratio and maybe to many strikes. It look to me everything was a stirke or way up and away in the zone nothing that started in the zone and then moved out of the zone which is where you get most of the k's.

You could be correct. It drives me nuts when pitchers go up 0-2 and 1-2 and go to 3-2. I am not really a believer in a not even close waste pitch. Get the batter out on a defensive swing as quickly as possible, don't give him a chance to re-group. Jake had (has) the same problem. Hopefully, Gausman's learning curve will be better.

Need to get either Britton or McFarland or Matusz read the Boston series. They are vulnerable to lefties but mash RH'ers.

Let Gausman have a home start and get mashed by Detroit then send him to the minors until September.

Under no circumstance should they let Gausman start in Fenway.

Not exactly a news bulletin there. As for it being too soon, it's still too soon to tell but you look right so far.

But folks on this board said the Orioles had staff in place to evaluate these players and the consensus was that he was, in fact, ready.

Archived