Braun, Arod & others to be suspended...?

notfast

This is where it hurts not to have subpoena power. Cano's assistant/drug mule can simple refuse to return MLB's calls.

Suffice to say that if Cano's personal assistant was buying PEDs, it is absolutely clear that Cano was using them. If nothing else, we would know that about Cano. There is value in that.

2 former Bosch associates said that Ms. Cruz, the spokeswoman for Cano's foundation, was billed $300 for a personal weight loss regimen; not PED's.

BTW, there may be up to 80 more names on the "lists" that have not yet been made public or handed over to MLB or media outlets.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They're going to try, but it's gonna be a tough battle..

Gonna be interesting to see how the players union reacts. I'm guessing the suspensions won't be subject to an arbitrator's review in a case like this, but maybe I'm wrong. I suppose we will have some subsequent lawsuits by the players against MLB. Gonna be interesting.

They're going to try, but it's gonna be a tough battle.

On an unrelated note, I'm so sick of sanctimonious baseball writers. In any other sport, this story would be minor. In baseball it's a huge deal because of the illusion of a "clean game" that they've tried to cultivate over the past decade. Baseball has always had cheaters, and it always will. They need to get their heads out of the clouds and get over it already.

20 players getting suspended would be big news in any sport.

They're going to try, but it's gonna be a tough battle.

On an unrelated note, I'm so sick of sanctimonious baseball writers. In any other sport, this story would be minor. In baseball it's a huge deal because of the illusion of a "clean game" that they've tried to cultivate over the past decade. Baseball has always had cheaters, and it always will. They need to get their heads out of the clouds and get over it already.

Really? You can't possibly believe this. Let's say that this was happening in the NFL and two of the top players Tom Brady and Eli Manning, you don't think that would be pretty big news?

MLB's drug policy, known as the Joint Drug Prevention and Blunt Treatment Program, was formed and agreed to by both the MLBPA and the Office of the Commissioner. The policy calls for a 50 games suspension for each violation. MLB is saying receiving, possessing or using PEDs warrants a 50 games suspension. Lying to MLB and it's investigators about such receipt, possession, or usage of banned substances constitutes a second and separate offense that qualifies for an additional 50 games suspension. Hence, 100 games.

Yeah I mean I understand what they're arguing...I just don't think it actually makes any sense. That would be like me murdering one person and then lying to the cops about murdering that one person and then being charged and given two sentences for two murders. That's not right. Like I said, I understand what they're saying, I just don't get the rationale or like it. I think it's kind of underhanded and I'm all for cleaning up the game and suspending people that break the rules.

Really? You can't possibly believe this. Let's say that this was happening in the NFL and two of the top players Tom Brady and Eli Manning, you don't think that would be pretty big news?

The news would be "What are the Patriots and Giants going to do without their QB's for the length of this suspension?" not "Those horrible cheaters. Kick 'em out of the game! I'm never going to vote them into the HOF!"

There certainly wouldn't be any "this is going to send shockwaves through the sport" nonsense. For whatever reason, PED's aren't frowned upon in other sports the way they are in baseball.

Gonna be interesting to see how the players union reacts. I'm guessing the suspensions won't be subject to an arbitrator's review in a case like this, but maybe I'm wrong.

I'm pretty sure that any player being disciplined has the right to an appeal and that appeal would be heard by an arbitration panel consisting of 3 individuals -- one appointed by MLB, one appointed by the Players Association, and one from a list of arbitrators approved by both MLB and the Players Association.

In the Braun case, the MLB appointee voted to uphold the 50 game suspension, the Players Association rep voted to dismiss it, and the arbitrator broke the tie. Essentially, unless it's such an egregious case that the MLB and PA reps can't in good conscience vote for their own side, it boils down to a single arbitrator making the decision.

One thing we do know -- it won't be the arbitrator from the Braun case. Both MLB and the Players Association have to approve the arbitrators on the list and MLB nixed this guy.

... I suppose we will have some subsequent lawsuits by the players against MLB. Gonna be interesting.

I don't think so. I'm not that familiar with the Collective Bargaining Agreement, but I would think it probably expressly prohibits either party suing in court. By accepting the CBA, the players gave up their right to file a civil lawsuit.

There would probably be an exception if a player could prove that either MLB or the PA subverted the terms of the CBA, but I think that would be nearly impossible to win unless there was a glaring "smoking gun".

Wait, let me get something straight here:

A-Wad isn't due back anytime soon, still nursing whatever injury he has.

He's facing a 50 game suspension, too. And the MLB probably won't be picking a fight unless they feel that they have a great shot at winning.

So...The Yankees are on the hook for his contract until, like, 2016-2017? And there's a strong chance that, after all of this, he might not take the field until this time next year?

:clap3: :rofl: :laughlol:

It's not even that he's an effective player anymore...it's that he's a total douche and it's happening to the Yankees. This is awesome.

He's facing a 50 game suspension, too. And the MLB probably won't be picking a fight unless they feel that they have a great shot at winning.

So...The Yankees are on the hook for his contract until, like, 2016-2017? And there's a strong chance that, after all of this, he might not take the field until this time next year?

It's not even that he's an effective player anymore...it's that he's a total douche and it's happening to the Yankees. This is awesome.

You can serve out suspensions while on the DL. He would need to get 100 games for it to have the potential to reach into next season.

Unfortunately, he can serve his suspension while on the DL. Plus, he doesn't get paid, so I'm not sure if the Yankees keep that money or if it goes to charity like with fines. Hopefully the latter.

He appeared smug and like a jailhouse lawyer to me.

That's how I read him. In front of reporters yesterday, after the news broke, he clammed up and said he wasn't answering any questions and stood by his previous statement at ST.

And today he's not in the starting lineup. That nagging "thumb injury", I guess.

While I do believe that there is a significant chance that the players in question are guilty I am still forced to root against MLB due to the nature in which they are operating.

Their "case" appears to depend upon the shoddy records kept by a disgraced Anthony Bosch. They obtained these records by the using the legal system as a bludgeon. It would not be a great leap to question those records.

MLB constantly lauds it's testing system, a number of these players did not fail tests.

To me, it is a pretty disgraceful show being put on by MLB.

Archived