What's up with JOBat taunting us?

jimbones

Hey...you're the one advocating throwing at someone's head. With as much as we know about concussions and brain injuries these days, the only reasons someone would suggest doing something like that would be if they were evil or a complete moron. I guess I was giving you the benefit of the doubt.

I don't want people to be hit in the head. If I gave that impression, that's my bad. I don't. I just thought the O's could have done a better job of making the Jays uncomfortable. I'm not happy right now.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't want people to be hit in the head. If I gave that impression, that's my bad. I don't. I just thought the O's could have done a better job of making the Jays uncomfortable. I'm not happy right now.

Well that's good. It was the "protect their earhole" part that concerned me. I'm glad that's not what you actually meant, though.

I could not disagree more with the OP. This is not football or hockey. What does it accomplish (aside from exacting testosterone-fueled revenge) to plunk one of the Jays? It puts a runner on base and increases the chance that our starter gets tossed (granted that might have been advantageous today). I for one LIKE that we are a classier team than that. Would you really want prima donnas like Bautista, Ortiz or Pedroia (at least their characters - maybe I'd want their stats)? One of the best things about this team is that they are a team and not a collection of mercenaries worried about their individual numbers or on field drama.

Sure it's regrettable that we couldn't win at least one of the two winnable games of this series. This is baseball. Sometimes the little Japanese guy gets a hold of one, a ball goes just foul, a pitch (or 4) gets called a ball when it's a strike, etc. To take it to the next level by focusing on "chirping" between players and therefore demanding retribution is asinine. The best way to humiliate a foe is to beat them, not sink to their level.

Well, we can't beat them it seems. But at least we have "class". Can't wait for that trophy.

I wasn't all that upset because I had no expectations of any thing else. I confess to a secret hope that somehow Freddie would make it through 6 and hold them to 4 but that didn't last beyond the second inning. It's ridiculous to think we have a chance to win when we send Freddie Garcia a HR pitcher up against the BJ's, a HR hitting team in the park where he has historically pitched the worst. I was pleased to see they scored 5 R anyway because if they had started a real pitcher they had a decent chance to win. Besides as it turns out both the MFY and the SUX lost, so no big deal.

that's my point. we gave them nothing to fear. Nothing. I'm not advocating a beanball war, but this is ridiculous. I still stand by my stance that Bautista should have been hit.

How are you NOT advocating a bean war, yet stating that someone should've been hit?

Grow up dude.

The reasoning behind advocating hitting Bautista here is, in my opinion, flawed at best. The only scenario in which it might be appropriate to throw at an opposing batter is in retaliation for a clear cut case of them throwing at one of our batters first. All Bautista did was jaw at the pitcher. Big whoop. Shut him up by striking him out, not instigating a "beanball war".

That said, I would agree that it's a good idea to throw inside to Bautista (as TJ did later in the game to Kawasaki), who crowds the plate and gains an advantage from it. That's different from plunking him and offers a tangible benefit in that he'll be less prone to crowd and perhaps easier to strike out on a slider low and outside. Far too often our pitchers throw only to the outer third of the plate and make the hitters' job that much easier.

The reasoning behind advocating hitting Bautista here is, in my opinion, flawed at best. The only scenario in which it might be appropriate to throw at an opposing batter is in retaliation for a clear cut case of them throwing at one of our batters first. All:) Bautista did was jaw at the pitcher. Big whoop. Shut him up by striking him out, not instigating a "beanball war".

That said, I would agree that it's a good idea to throw inside to Bautista (as TJ did later in the game to Kawasaki), who crowds the plate and gains an advantage from it. That's different from plunking him and offers a tangible benefit in that he'll be less prone to crowd and perhaps easier to strike out on a slider low and outside. Far too often our pitchers throw only to the outer third of the plate and make the hitters' job that much easier.

Thank you for disagreeing with me in an agreeable way......

Archived