Accepting being competitive??

WallyB8

There's a strong possibility that this team will not be playing meaningful baseball in September, and it's also very possible that they will finish under .500 this year. So people who nag passionate fans of this team about how we should just be "thankful" they're playing "meaningful" games shouldn't count their chickens before they hatch. The stadium could look an awful lot like 2007 come September 15.

It's ok to get upset overy losses that matter as the season dwindles down. Finishing above .500 is good for morale, but I do not think that the 2014 Orioles will be negatively affected by the 2013 squad finishing around .500 after spending most of the year in a hunt for a playoff spot. As far as fans are concerned most of them know when they are seeing good baseball and the Orioles haven't been playing anything better than good baseball since sometime in May. There have been streaks, but this team is >10 games from a .500 team. I for one am happy that I am not thinking about football season as soon as it ends because I could guess the Orioles fate for most of the last decade and a half. You and others can nag all you like and there are valid points being made, but the Orioles are going to spend time with families in the offseason and prepare for 2014. That isn't going to change no matter what you opinion is or how the remainder of the season plays out.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The remaining schedule is tough. And by tonight's end, the Orioles could very well have a roommate in 3rd place. 2 teams suddenly going in opposite directions.

Looking at the numbers should tell us that one of Tampa, Boston or Oakland will nab a wild card. The more teams that we are competing with for the remaining spot decreases our odds of making the playoffs as does the fact that the Red Sox, Rays and now Yankees seem to all be playing good baseball and the A's have the best record in baseball dating back to the start of 2012 IIRC. I look forward to 2014 and I do think this season is about lost, but stranger things have happened.

Looking at the numbers should tell us that one of Tampa, Boston or Oakland will nab a wild card. The more teams that we are competing with for the remaining spot decreases our odds of making the playoffs as does the fact that the Red Sox, Rays and now Yankees seem to all be playing good baseball and the A's have the best record in baseball dating back to the start of 2012 IIRC. I look forward to 2014 and I do think this season is about lost, but stranger things have happened.

Actually, the Red Sox have stumbled a bit. In the last 10 games the results are:

NYY 8-2

TBR 6-4

BOS 4-6

BAL 3-7

TOR 3-7

For the month of August:

NYY 10-8

BOS 9-9

TBR 8-8

BAL 8-9

TOR 7-12

At this point I'd write off only the Jays in the AL East. TBR can't be counted out and the NYY suddenly look a lot better. BAL needs to get it into high gear. What was working for them last year isn't working this time around. As for BOS; it's hard to tell what they will end up doing.

This is where I am. I look at Tampa's last 5-6 years. They had a great run in 2008, took a step back in 2009 and missed the playoffs in a season very similar to what the Orioles are having this year, made the playoffs in 2010-11, missed by a few games last year, have a good chance of making it this year. Did the 2009 and 2012 Rays "disappoint" their fans? Well, sort of, but I'd be pretty envious of a run like that.

Or, I look at the 1977-83 Orioles. They were only in the playoffs twice in that span, but they made things interesting pretty much every season. Those teams were beloved by Orioles fans, and not just in the seasons when they made the playoffs. Was I "disappointed" in '77, '78, '80, '81 and '82? Sure, but I loved following those teams.

In that context, I'm enjoying the 2013 season, even though I'll be disappointed if they fall short of the playoffs.

I agree with all of this. I think the reason why people are so frustrated with this season is the way they've lost this season. So many blown leads and one-run losses tend to paint a more unsuccessful feeling despite the fact that the team has played pretty well overall this season. This year is the anti-2012. I can understand the frustration because this team has lost so many close games and when they lose close games, it's easier to pick on one bad play or decision. It's makes for good discussion here, but it's frustrating to deal with.

I agree with all of this. I think the reason why people are so frustrated with this season is the way they've lost this season. So many blown leads and one-run losses tend to paint a more unsuccessful feeling despite the fact that the team has played pretty well overall this season. This year is the anti-2012. I can understand the frustration because this team has lost so many close games and when they lose close games, it's easier to pick on one bad play or decision. It's makes for good discussion here, but it's frustrating to deal with.

You guys are presupposing that this group of O's will have a multi-year run similar to TB and the 77-83 O's. That's a pretty big assumption and the jury is very much still out on that one.

I hate the acceptance of losing! Hate it! Hate it! Hate it!

This team has been building for 6 years to get to this point. Ever since the trade for Adam Jones and Chris Tillman in Feb of 2008 the team has been accumulating young talent. Drafts, trades, waiver wire, international signings. You name it. Get young talent. Well, the team in not young any more. Other than Manny and maybe Tillman the core of the team in 26-32. That is in its prime. Time to win. No excuses. No tip your hat to the other team after a loss. Just win.

I can't stand Buck making excuses for this team. 'Oh Cobb was pretty darn good.' 'Oh Price was the Cy Young winner.' Shove it. The O's are paid to be better. Bottom line, what is happening right now is unacceptable. Not good enough. I don't want to hear that the effort is there. Aren't the O's past that? Shouldn't we be able to take it for granted that if someone is not putting out the effort he is already gone? A good effort is not what its about at the point. Its win or get the heck out of here.

The O's are at the tipping point. Either they go on a run or they end the year losers. No excuses. Just win.

I don't see us getting to the WS with this core. We just don't have the starting pitching. It won't come from the system in the near future, like it always seems to do with TB, and PA won't spend on it. So look forward to being competitive and in the thick of things, but no cigars.

Actually, the Red Sox have stumbled a bit. In the last 10 games the results are:

NYY 8-2

TBR 6-4

BOS 4-6

BAL 3-7

TOR 3-7

For the month of August:

NYY 10-8

BOS 9-9

TBR 8-8

BAL 8-9

TOR 7-12

At this point I'd write off only the Jays in the AL East. TBR can't be counted out and the NYY suddenly look a lot better. BAL needs to get it into high gear. What was working for them last year isn't working this time around. As for BOS; it's hard to tell what they will end up doing.

We need to go at least 6-4 the next 10 G. We can totally do that.

I don't see us getting to the WS with this core. We just don't have the starting pitching. It won't come from the system in the near future, like it always seems to do with TB, and PA won't spend on it. So look forward to being competitive and in the thick of things, but no cigars.

No don't accept it. Gausman is a #1 starter in the making. 98mph fastball. Great change up. Improving breaking pitch. And Tillman is still growing as a pitcher. 25 years old. There is still room for improvement with him. Bundy? Have to wait until 2015 to know anything about him and his post surgery arm.

I hate the acceptance of losing! Hate it! Hate it! Hate it!

This team has been building for 6 years to get to this point. Ever since the trade for Adam Jones and Chris Tillman in Feb of 2008 the team has been accumulating young talent. Drafts, trades, waiver wire, international signings. You name it. Get young talent. Well, the team in not young any more. Other than Manny and maybe Tillman the core of the team in 26-32. That is in its prime. Time to win. No excuses. No tip your hat to the other team after a loss. Just win.

I can't stand Buck making excuses for this team. 'Oh Cobb was pretty darn good.' 'Oh Price was the Cy Young winner.' Shove it. The O's are paid to be better. Bottom line, what is happening right now is unacceptable. Not good enough. I don't want to hear that the effort is there. Aren't the O's past that? Shouldn't we be able to take it for granted that if someone is not putting out the effort he is already gone? A good effort is not what its about at the point. Its win or get the heck out of here.

The O's are at the tipping point. Either they go on a run or they end the year losers. No excuses. Just win.

Prepare yourself now, they aren't winning anything this season. The sooner you accept that, the better.

Prepare yourself now, they aren't winning anything this season. The sooner you accept that, the better.

I refuse to accept losing. Heads will roll. Or they should. And I am not talking about Buck or DD losing their jobs. I still want to see some fight out of this team.

If we don't make the playoffs, one positive thing that will come out of this season is that it is so obvious that we need a TOR starter and a DH, DD will have to address those areas in the offseason. For hte first time in a while, I think it's fair to say we with confidence that we are one or 2 pieces away.

I refuse to accept losing. Heads will roll. Or they should. And I am not talking about Buck or DD losing their jobs. I still want to see some fight out of this team.

No heads will roll. No matter what happens this season, everyone will be back next year. We have too many mid to back of the rotation starters, and our bullpen isn't exactly having a stellar season. The lack of any top of the rotation guys hurts, and I'm not talking about an Ace, just solid TOR guy.

No don't accept it. Gausman is a #1 starter in the making. 98mph fastball. Great change up. Improving breaking pitch. And Tillman is still growing as a pitcher. 25 years old. There is still room for improvement with him. Bundy? Have to wait until 2015 to know anything about him and his post surgery arm.
Neither Gausman or Bundy will be pitching like a number one while this core is intact. You don't seriously expect them to be giving us 200 IP and 200 K's in the next two years do you? After 2015 we start losing guys, like Wieters and Davis.

Neither Gausman or Bundy will be pitching like a number one while this core is intact. You don't seriously expect them to be giving us 200 IP and 200 K's in the next two years do you? After 2015 we start losing guys, like Wieters and Davis.

Gausman might in 2014 though he might still be innings limited to 180 or so innings. It will be interesting to see it Davis and Wieters stay or go. Losing certainly does not help loyalty though.

Archived