Accepting being competitive??

WallyB8

I hate every time that I read something that says "you should just be happy that the Orioles are competitive. I feel like throwing something when I see that. Yes, I like that we are playing meaningful baseball but will not sit here and say I am just going to accept being competitive. I want a championship or in the minimum a World Series appearance. I want to hear those same people say that about the Ravens. It would never happen. As a passionate fan my whole life I am sick of hearing that I should just be happy they are competing. I am never just going to accept that and I would hope the Orioles organization would think the same. I want to see them build on this and spend money where they need to to make this team better. You know the Yankees and Red Sox will.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hate every time that I read something that says "you should just be happy that the Orioles are competitive. I feel like throwing something when I see that. Yes, I like that we are playing meaningful baseball but will not sit here and say I am just going to accept being competitive. I want a championship or in the minimum a World Series appearance. I want to hear those same people say that about the Ravens. It would never happen. As a passionate fan my whole life I am sick of hearing that I should just be happy they are competing. I am never just going to accept that and I would hope the Orioles organization would think the same. I want to see them build on this and spend money where they need to to make this team better. You know the Yankees and Red Sox will.

What we accept has nothing to do with it. We didn't accept losing for 15+ years but did that change things?

The starting staff is a.lot better than two years ago and so is the defense. You will have to wait a few years for the farm to be stocked and to have a pipeline of quality players. Them you can compete for championships.

As my dad used to say, "It's nice to want things, but it doesn't mean that you'll get them, however." ;)

You won't always get what you want ......

You won't always get what you need ......

But you will always get what you get.

The starting staff is a.lot better than two years ago and so is the defense. You will have to wait a few years for the farm to be stocked and to have a pipeline of quality players. Them you can compete for championships.

I do not see a scenario where our farm system is stocked in the near future. I liked Delmonico and thought that dealing him for KRod made little sense if you were not going to make him the closer. The Orioles had two holes at the back-end of the rotation, at least one arm (more like 2-3) in the pen and DH. They addressed the two missing starters and a bullpen arm by dealing away top-5 prospects Delmonico and Hader in addition to the supplemental 1st round pick (#33 overall?). What that means to me is that even though you didn't gut the system it took a pretty good blow and that doesn't account for Bundy not helping in 2014 or the prospect you lost out on by dealing away that supplemental 2014 pick.

The Orioles just do not spend enough on the international market or trade better players (Davis, Jones, Wieters, Hardy) for quality prospects like some clubs. I know that the Orioles are better now, but they could have (still could) done some positive things if they would consider dealing away a few of these guys that we are not as likely to extend. Duquette is a win now guy IMO and the fans will love that right up until we are not winning and a good portion of our farm system has been traded away.

There's a strong possibility that this team will not be playing meaningful baseball in September, and it's also very possible that they will finish under .500 this year. So people who nag passionate fans of this team about how we should just be "thankful" they're playing "meaningful" games shouldn't count their chickens before they hatch. The stadium could look an awful lot like 2007 come September 15.

I am not accepting just being "competetive"; I want to see the O's win it all. But I would rather have this season than any from 1998-2011. The fact that in August we still have a chance feels good instead of feeling like we were eliminated before the all star break.

This is where I am. I look at Tampa's last 5-6 years. They had a great run in 2008, took a step back in 2009 and missed the playoffs in a season very similar to what the Orioles are having this year, made the playoffs in 2010-11, missed by a few games last year, have a good chance of making it this year. Did the 2009 and 2012 Rays "disappoint" their fans? Well, sort of, but I'd be pretty envious of a run like that.

Or, I look at the 1977-83 Orioles. They were only in the playoffs twice in that span, but they made things interesting pretty much every season. Those teams were beloved by Orioles fans, and not just in the seasons when they made the playoffs. Was I "disappointed" in '77, '78, '80, '81 and '82? Sure, but I loved following those teams.

In that context, I'm enjoying the 2013 season, even though I'll be disappointed if they fall short of the playoffs.

I hope the team is more competitive then twice every 20 years. The team was a laughing stock for fifteen years,so they had no place to go but up. Be interesting to see what happens over the nest year. Have somewholes to fill at second and DH and perhaps left field. Hardy and Markakis could be in their last year. Will Jim Johnson be the closer? Hammel is probably gone.

There's a strong possibility that this team will not be playing meaningful baseball in September, and it's also very possible that they will finish under .500 this year. So people who nag passionate fans of this team about how we should just be "thankful" they're playing "meaningful" games shouldn't count their chickens before they hatch. The stadium could look an awful lot like 2007 come September 15.

Yeah, it's possible. I wouldn't say it's likely. Buck's Orioles teams have finished strong all three years he's been here and I'd be pretty surprised to see an implosion of the type we saw frequently in the decade prior to Buck's arrival.

My thought behind this entire thread is that at this point in time, I am happy that we are competitive. After 14-15 years of not finishing over .500 and being the laughing stock of baseball, how can you not be happy with that. I said that before the season ever started that if we finished with 85-90 wins but miss the playoffs that is a VERY good season for Baltimore baseball. That means that last year was not a fluke and that our core is good enough to compete in this league.

As the next year or two go by and this core gets stronger and more mature, then our expectations should rise. I don't think there is anything wrong with being content with where we are now, but expecting more in the near future.

Archived