Could this be what we are asking the Mariners for?

Sports Guy

... Seattle fans are complaining...

Check out www.detectovision.com -- it's where the reasonable M's fans chat.

I'm getting addicted to Churchill's supposedly inside info, but am really tired of his anti-trade screeds. What makes it really bad is that Churchill (www.prospectinsider.com), Lookout Landing (www.lookoutlanding.com) and USS Mariner (www.ussmariner.com) are sophisticated enough to dress up their prejudices in analytical garb, but not sophisticated enough to recognize their prejudices.

So it was a delight to find thoughtful Mariners fans who would welcome a trade for Bedard even if the cost was what we're contemplating.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Basically the Orioles are asking for the moon and Bavasi won't give it to them. Bavasi will not send Jones/Triunfel/Tillman/Sherrill for Bedard. Take out Triunfel or Tillman and the O's might have a chance. With the talks going on this far I don't see either side giving in. They have both made their offers.

Has anyone ever considered that the sticking point at this point (I realize a week ago they said it was one player) but at this point it may whether teh Mariners will get any time to work out a long term contract with Bedard. I know they have 2 years, but they may want assurances that McPhail can't give them.

Has anyone ever considered that the sticking point at this point (I realize a week ago they said it was one player) but at this point it may whether teh Mariners will get any time to work out a long term contract with Bedard. I know they have 2 years, but they may want assurances that McPhail can't give them.

Agreed, I think the M's will give up more if they can lock up Bedard. If they know they will only have him for two, they will be reluctant to give up more of their prospects.

Agreed, I think the M's will give up more if they can lock up Bedard. If they know they will only have him for two, they will be reluctant to give up more of their prospects.

I guess I disagree - 2 years is a long time to have a pitcher for. Bedard is said to loathe the limelight, thus hurting his chances of getting New York and Boston to be serious suitors. And without those two colossi in the picture, the M's can spend $ with anybody who might sign him away. Maybe they're prefer to have him for two more years, but I can't see it being a big enough deal to make or break the deal. I'd be surprised if they'd want to lock him up for six years or something though, which would seem to be the market price for locking up a Cy candidate. So if I'm the M's, I take him with the 2 year deal and smile.

Why would Seattle trade Sherrill for Walker. Sherrill is younger and cheaper and under control for a while, so why exchange them?

Because if you're in win now mode, getting Walker takes some of the sting out of losing Sherrill -- they'd still have a good lefty reliever. It's not that they'd prefer Walker straight-up, but rather that including Walker might make the deal within the acceptable range to both parties.

Because if you're in win now mode, getting Walker takes some of the sting out of losing Sherrill -- they'd still have a good lefty reliever. It's not that they'd prefer Walker straight-up, but rather that including Walker might make the deal within the acceptable range to both parties.

Thanks for the help ... I was still considering my reply. If the key of the deal for the M's is Bedard... Walker & Payton could ease concerns over loses to guys in the deal.

I don't see this as viable. If you are in win now mode you don't give up Sherrill to begin with, you give them younger guys, but not someone as important as Sherrill.

Archived