Could this be what we are asking the Mariners for?

Sports Guy

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The timing of the Rhodes signing is a little interesting. In one of the other Seattle threads, the reporter/blogger said he had talked to a former member of the O's front office, and if I remember correctly, he thought a Bedard trade could be announced on Thursday.

Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times blogged that the Mariners have signed Rhodes to a minor league deal. He believes that this is to provide them with another left handed reliever so that they can move Sherrill in a Bedard trade. He then went on to say he was tired of talking about Bedard and went on to other things. On that, I think he speaks for all of us!:)

A minor transaction, but it could have an impact on moving the trade along.

http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/mariners/index.html

Actually, that blog seems to have missed an important signing.

Sherrill has a new contract with the Ms, too.

According to an espn internet article posted today:

"Seattle also agreed to a $980,000, one-year contract with George Sherrill, the primary left-hander in the Mariners' bullpen. He can make about $60,000 more in performance bonuses."

I'm sorry but I do not know how to add a link for the source, but since Sherrill is also being given a new contract, I would say that rules out his inclusion in any potential deal with the Orioles.

I think Bedard is staying put-- *sigh* :(

Actually, that blog seems to have missed an important signing.

Sherrill has a new contract with the Ms, too.

According to an espn internet article posted today:

"Seattle also agreed to a $980,000, one-year contract with George Sherrill, the primary left-hander in the Mariners' bullpen. He can make about $60,000 more in performance bonuses."

I'm sorry but I do not know how to add a link for the source, but since Sherrill is also being given a new contract, I would say that rules out his inclusion in any potential deal with the Orioles.

I think Bedard is staying put-- *sigh* :(

It means nothing...It was the normal, standard 1 year, avoiding arbitration contract.

If anything, it makes Sherrill more appealing to the Orioles because they don't have to go through the process.

It means nothing...It was the normal, standard 1 year, avoiding arbitration contract.

If anything, it makes Sherrill more appealing to the Orioles because they don't have to go through the process.

Cool. I didn't even consider that point. I still interpret this as Seattle's way of shoring up last minute things for Spring Training, but a deal with Sherrill would be nice for the Orioles--particularly at that price tag. Kind of a low-cost risk if he does come here.

The Orioles and Bedard have to exchange #'s on Friday. This is why I think a deal goes down today or tomorrow at the latest.
Again, that makes little sense. The Orioles and Bedard already know exactly what numbers they are going to offer. I'd actually be surprised if they both haven't already submitted the numbers to the commissioner's office. That date has absolutely no meaning to the timeline for trading Bedard.

Again, that makes little sense. The Orioles and Bedard already know exactly what numbers they are going to offer. I'd actually be surprised if they both haven't already submitted the numbers to the commissioner's office. That date has absolutely no meaning to the timeline for trading Bedard.

What happens if the O's submit their figure, then Bedard is traded to the Mariners? Are the M's obligated to stay with that figure?

What happens if the O's submit their figure, then Bedard is traded to the Mariners? Are the M's obligated to stay with that figure?

Considering the Orioles can always sign Bedard before the arbitration hearing, I'm guessing the Mariners would have the right to do the same...

Archived