Is Adam Jones focused too much on being a celebrity this year?

Dark Helmet

Granderson got no where near 140M...did you mean Ellsbury?

Jones took the deal he wanted to take. He was not taken by anything. This is what many are trying to say. Adam CHOSE not to be a mercinary, like all the others had to do. Who is happier, Adam Jones, or Albert Pujols, Josh Hamilton, Prince Fielder... I could go on.

Adam is perfect for Baltimore and we are perfect for him.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How can you say im wrong then? You don't know how he will be the rest of the year either. His track record is that he's a sub .800 OPS player. Thats not good for our #4 hitter. Thats my point. Markakis gets blasted for being a disappointment.

He may very well be a sub 800 OPS player this year. You cherry picking 10 games worth of stats doesn't prove you predicted right.

No one said he had a big head. Making stupid comments to the media doesn't equal a big head.

Uh you asked if he was focused too much on being a celebrity. Sounds like you're inferring that he has a big head.

But I'm with Weams what is the point you're trying to make? You're doing a good job of straddling the fence by making your point but not making your point.

No one said he had a big head. Making stupid comments to the media doesn't equal a big head.

Oh He's got a HUGE head. At an autograph signing where I was paying $100 to get a jersey signed for my nephew, I asked him to signed on the front. I was one the really cool WBC USA Jerseys and the front was way cooler looking than the back. He refused and then said I only sign the 1 of the 10 on the back. I asked why that was and he said "I'm certainly not gonna signed the 0, I'm not a zero, I'm a #1 so I sign the 1."

Everyone that was at the signing that day was extremely disappointed. He barely paid any attention to the people who were paying big bucks to see him and wouldn't even take a photo with a kid!

Wow, huge inferiority complex mixed with a HUGE Head. I like Adam as a ballplayer (because he's an Oriole) but as a person I think he's a total jerk.

Jones took the deal he wanted to take. He was not taken by anything. This is what many are trying to say. Adam CHOSE not to be a mercinary, like all the others had to do. Who is happier, Adam Jones, or Albert Pujols, Josh Hamilton, Prince Fielder... I could go on.

Adam is perfect for Baltimore and we are perfect for him.

I'm proud of Jones and what he stands for. He doesn't sugar coat, bs, play up to the media and tell them what they want to hear; plus he works hard to play the game the right way.

A celebrity- NO, a true Oriole, heck yeah!

Well, his stats in 10 games lines up with his career numbers. So I guess my point isn't valid. He is what he is. A sub .800 OPS player.

I stopped reading the thread after getting through the above gem. On April 8th AJ's BA was .303 and his OPS was .866. Two games later AJ's numbers were/are .270 BA and .776 OPS. That's because it's the middle of freakin' April and individual games can result in huge "overall" performance swings.

Jones hasn't been a sub-.800 OPS player since 2011, and his contract is a bargain for what similar production would cost on the open market.

This is one of the worst threads I've seen in a long time.

Well, his stats in 10 games lines up with his career numbers. So I guess my point isn't valid. He is what he is. A sub .800 OPS player.
I stopped reading the thread after getting through the above gem. On April 8th AJ's BA was .303 and his OPS was .866. Two games later AJ's numbers were/are .270 BA and .776 OPS. That's because it's the middle of freakin' April, and individual games can result in huge "overall" performance swings.

Jones hasn't been a sub-.800 OPS player since 2011, and his contract is a bargain for what similar production would cost on the open market.

This is one of the worst threads I've seen in a long time.

HA HA HA. You ain't just whistlin' Dixie.

Last night, Dustin McGowan's E.R.A. was 13.50 before the start of the game.

6.33 shutout innings later, his E.R.A. was all the way down to 4.00.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.cgi?id=mcgowdu01&t=p&year=2014

If McGowan keeps this pace up, he'll wind up being more legendary than Sandy Koufax and Walter Johnson.

AJ has been worth 11 WAR the past 3 years or a little over 50 M in production while he has been paid 18M. Good value so far IMO. His numbers over that time period: .284 .324 .489 .813 118 OPS+ , 30 HR, 91 RBI. If we are going to use numbers from the first 10 G, then I guess we can expect CD to have no HR this season? :rolleyestf:

AJ has been worth 11 WAR the past 3 years or a little over 50 M in production while he has been paid 18M. Good value so far IMO. His numbers over that time period: .284 .324 .489 .813 118 OPS+ , 30 HR, 91 RBI. If we are going to use numbers from the first 10 G, then I guess we can expect CD to have no HR this season? :rolleyestf:

A very true and good post.

Oh He's got a HUGE head. At an autograph signing where I was paying $100 to get a jersey signed for my nephew, I asked him to signed on the front. I was one the really cool WBC USA Jerseys and the front was way cooler looking than the back. He refused and then said I only sign the 1 of the 10 on the back. I asked why that was and he said "I'm certainly not gonna signed the 0, I'm not a zero, I'm a #1 so I sign the 1."

Everyone that was at the signing that day was extremely disappointed. He barely paid any attention to the people who were paying big bucks to see him and wouldn't even take a photo with a kid!

Wow, huge inferiority complex mixed with a HUGE Head. I like Adam as a ballplayer (because he's an Oriole) but as a person I think he's a total jerk.

20 years from now, when you go to sell that jersey, you'll be happy he would only sign the 1 on the back, because ever legitimate dealer will know that's the only place he would sign. If he'd signed elsewhere, dealers would call it a forgery.

My personal experiences have been the exact opposite.

I can only think of one player in the game today that is so focused on being a celebrity that it affects his on field performance. That'd be Puig.

I remember reading an article in which the scouts from around Cuba refer to him as a Diva.

Archived