Is Adam Jones focused too much on being a celebrity this year?

Dark Helmet

I agree to an extent but I've had the pleasure of hanging out with Adam on more than one occasion in different settings and he is a great guy. Does he have an ego? YES. But it's more harmless than anything. He is a great asset to the community and to our ball club. He has developed strong Baltimore roots and doesn't just talk the talk. I honestly want my favorite athlete to have an ego. I would call it more of a swagger. He's no Ricky Henderson.

I would take Rick(e)y (say, in 1985 or 1990) in LF, though.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe AJ's doing it on purpose. He's seen as the clubhouse leader and probably feels he should take the pressure off the rest of the guys after the shakes start to 2014. He hasn't been able to do take the attention away from them with his on field performances, so he runs his mouth about some inconsequential subjects, a few sound bites and people are talking a little more about HIM and a little less about his team mates poor performances

Maybe AJ's doing it on purpose. He's seen as the clubhouse leader and probably feels he should take the pressure off the rest of the guys after the shakes start to 2014. He hasn't been able to do take the attention away from them with his on field performances, so he runs his mouth about some inconsequential subjects, a few sound bites and people are talking a little more about HIM and a little less about his team mates poor performances

I'm still fascinated with Rickey. I'm certain that he never had any motive.

“The Entire State Building.”

I doubt he's that calculating about it. I think it's really only about idiots on the field and stupid questions from the media.

I feel like the title of this thread doesn't match the nature of this thread. The title said one thing, then the op suggested that it's just pointing out that jones is what he is. But make no mistake, that's not at all what the title is suggesting. In fact, it's the complete opposite.

Sorry about that. I was asking the question in the thread title, but answering it in the op. I don't think AJ is letting celebrity status get to his head. I think Jones is what he is. A very good player who has flaws. Im glad he's ours just the same. Id probably only take two other guys in CF over AJ.

Sorry about that. I was asking the question in the thread title, but answering it in the op. I don't think AJ is letting celebrity status get to his head. I think Jones is what he is. A very good player who has flaws. Im glad he's ours just the same. Id probably only take two other guys in CF over AJ.

Who other than Trout? McCutchen?

Guest rochester
Adam probably has a bit bigger ego than the average athlete. But he's a great guy. And a fine citizen. And he's ours.

Rollins? nice...

To me, there is a difference in types of people who are in the spotlight - those that crave the attention, believe they are above and better than anyone they come in contact with and enjoy as much power and money no matter who gets hurt. There may be some examples in baseball but AJ is not one of them IMO. First and foremost, he signed a long-term contract in BALTIMORE for an extremely friendly amount of $$. He speaks his mind, but I believe many people either don't get his humor or don't want to.

As a player I don't know why his bad habits keep being brought up. If I hear the low and away slider one more time... the OP should be put on the field and let AJ spike them. Frankly, he is one of a small handful of players I don't get concerned about. He is a young All-Star Centerfielder with, like everyone else, has some holes in his game. My guess is that when he completes his "one-team only" career he will be ranked the best CF we have had, with all due respect to Paul Blair, etc.

I think Jones may be feeling "taken" by his contract extension in a time when unproven

Pitchers like Tanaka get $150M and Granderson gets $140M. He could have gotten $100M on the open market, no question. I was suprised when he signed for less with the O's.

I think Jones may be feeling "taken" by his contract extension in a time when unproven

Pitchers like Tanaka get $150M and Granderson gets $140M. He could have gotten $100M on the open market, no question. I was suprised when he signed for less with the O's.

Granderson got no where near 140M...did you mean Ellsbury?

How can you say im wrong then? You don't know how he will be the rest of the year either. His track record is that he's a sub .800 OPS player. Thats not good for our #4 hitter. Thats my point. Markakis gets blasted for being a disappointment.

I think I should just write a script to automate my posts at this point...

Repeating myself, I know. The last two years he has been 4+ win player...Markakis IS a disappointment (I love him regardless), Jones is surplus value.

Jones is 21st in position players in WAR since 2012...he's an asset.

He hasn't been awful so far. But with his talent he should be better. The swinging at bad pitches is what it is at this point. But it seems he's doing a lot more talking and doing the mlb shows this year. Is AJ focused enough in everyone's opinion?

I don't think Adam Jones actively seeks out being on television or doing interviews. TPTB just know that he will be entertaining and he's the most recognizable Oriole...that's why he is always on ESPN or MTV or whatever. If Nick Markakis or Matt Wieters were anything like Adam Jones you'd maybe see them doing some of the things that Jones does.

Archived