Tommy Hunter AGAIN!

isestrex

Tommy Hunter is the next Jim Johnson. I stand by my conviction that Buck and all major league managers are Zombies when it comes to the Closer. He nearly blew that save situation in TB on Thursday. He as been very lucky and I don't trust him as "The Closer". When the set-up guy in the 8th has a 1-2-3 inning and throws 12 pitches why can't Buck let him close out the 9th? Last night was a perfect example as Hunter blew the save but the O's came back in the 10th..

Sounded better with the dudes.:D

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boy, you are really going to get blasted on the O's hangout for dissing Tommy Hunter. He is scary and lucky.

Buck can do no wrong and Tommy Hunter is the greatest. His luck is going to run out.

I would just like to see Buck let the set-up guy in the 8th go on an pitch if he had an easy inning and

looked strong. Does he always have to bring in Hunter no matter what? I would only bring him in with a 3-4 run lead right now.

Boy, you are really going to get blasted on the O's hangout for dissing Tommy Hunter. He is scary and lucky.

Buck can do no wrong and Tommy Hunter is the greatest. His luck is going to run out.

I would just like to see Buck let the set-up guy in the 8th go on an pitch if he had an easy inning and

looked strong. Does he always have to bring in Hunter no matter what? I would only bring him in with a 3-4 run lead right now.

Short term Buck is making a mistake by sticking with Hunter, long term he is re-emphasizing his loyalty to players which makes the culture of the team so good. Hunter has a long leash, but he is on a leash. If this continues we will see a change. I think Britton and O'Day will see save opportunities if Hunter continues to struggle. But his faith and loyalty in players promotes confidence, which in turn promotes results. Hence, we are in first place despite inconsistent starting pitching, injuries, and some poor starts by key players.

Don't you have anything intelligent to add?

I really wouldn't start questioning people's intelligence with 31 posts - most of the guys responding to you have spent years building a reputation as thoughtful and intelligent posters.

"Not bother" - really, you think he just doesn't care? Not concerned about splits against left handers? How can you make judgements about him as a person? This is about him showing confidence in himself. You prefer him to say "jeez I am lost right now. I am going to look at tape for the next 23.5 hours until I am called upon to pitch again. I have no confidence in my ability to get an out tomorrow."

Read the quote yourself.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2014/04/tommy-hunter-talks-about-adjusting-to-the-closers-role-and-delmarva-note.html

Hunter said he has not changed anything to try and combat the lefty hitters.

How am I misinterpreting that?

Maybe your not - maybe Hunter is just a macho dude from Texas that isn't going to talk about changes he makes publicly. Truth is you do not know what he and the coaches are working on to improve. I would think that as a professional, who wants to succeed at his job, he is working to become the best possible pitcher that he can be. I think that is more plausible then him being so arrogant that he doesn't work to improve where he struggles.

Maybe your not - maybe Hunter is just a macho dude from Texas that isn't going to talk about changes he makes publicly. Truth is you do not know what he and the coaches are working on to improve. I would think that as a professional, who wants to succeed at his job, he is working to become the best possible pitcher that he can be. I think that is more plausible then him being so arrogant that he doesn't work to improve where he struggles.

I think it makes more sense to go with what he says, and with what my eyes tell me, then to assume he is doing things there are no record of.

I'm not big on faith.

I think it makes more sense to go with what he says, and with what my eyes tell me, then to assume he is doing things there are no record of.

I'm not big on faith.

I am not big on faith either - I just don't think that players and Managers always speak the truth to the media.

I am not big on faith either - I just don't think that players and Managers always speak the truth to the media.

I know they don't. It's one of the reasons I think they should have to wait til the next day to do post game interviews. Because they're still fresh off the game and tend to say goofy things when if they had time to think they'd be more measured. But that wouldn't make good ink.

That was an intelligent reply , dude.

If you say so, but I see syntax and formatting problems. That doesn't scream "intelligent" to me.

I know they don't. It's one of the reasons I think they should have to wait til the next day to do post game interviews. Because they're still fresh off the game and tend to say goofy things when if they had time to think they'd be more measured. But that wouldn't make good ink.

If you read the whole thing you will see that the interview I referenced was in the afternoon, not directly after a game.

Archived