Tommy Hunter AGAIN!

isestrex

If you read the whole thing you will see that the interview I referenced was in the afternoon, not directly after a game.

I know, that was more a general lament piggybacked on the sentiment that players and managers never really tell the truth, or the whole of it anyway.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know, that was more a general lament piggybacked on the sentiment that players and managers never really tell the truth, or the whole of it anyway.

I don't see what he has to gain by saying he is not changing anything instead of going with "Obviously I struggled with Lefties last year and I am working with the coaching staff to try and improve in that area."

Unless of course his grand scheme is to suck versus right handed batters as well, thus eliminating his platoon splits! (VS RHB 943 OPS, VS LHB 867 OPS)

I don't see what he has to gain by saying he is not changing anything instead of going with "Obviously I struggled with Lefties last year and I am working with the coaching staff to try and improve in that area."

Unless of course his grand scheme is to suck versus right handed batters as well, thus eliminating his platoon splits! (VS RHB 943 OPS, VS LHB 867 OPS)

I think its his own version of being polite and not wanting to answer the question. Then again, I think half of interview answers fall right in to that. ;)

I think its his own version of being polite and not wanting to answer the question. Then again, I think half of interview answers fall right in to that. ;)

Without evidence to the contrary, I will believe he was being honest and wasn't changing anything to combat lefties.

Especially since there were no reports of him changing anything despite their being three different daily beat writers with the team all spring.

Without evidence to the contrary, I will believe he was being honest and wasn't changing anything to combat lefties.

Especially since there were no reports of him changing anything despite their being three different daily beat writers with the team all spring.

Fair enough. Though he could be looking at it on his own time, and just playing dumb. He could be having mechanical problems but he doesn't want to say anything. Selfish, yeah. Could be about 100 things, really.

Fair enough. Though he could be looking at it on his own time, and just playing dumb. He could be having mechanical problems but he doesn't want to say anything. Selfish, yeah. Could be about 100 things, really.

It could be, but I shave with Occam's razor.

It could be, but I shave with Occam's razor.

Oh, I've got a whole cabinet of Occam's Razors, I just also have seen players lie so much about their own (usually bad) performances that my simplest explanation has gotten skewed by that data. :D

Short term Buck is making a mistake by sticking with Hunter, long term he is re-emphasizing his loyalty to players which makes the culture of the team so good. Hunter has a long leash, but he is on a leash. If this continues we will see a change. I think Britton and O'Day will see save opportunities if Hunter continues to struggle. But his faith and loyalty in players promotes confidence, which in turn promotes results. Hence, we are in first place despite inconsistent starting pitching, injuries, and some poor starts by key players.

There's a lot to this. Buck's players know he won't undercut them at the first sign of trouble, and that helps them play well. That said, Hunter is pushing his luck. I don't think he needs to be yanked from his role yet, but I don't think Buck needs to slavishly go to him in every save situation no matter what, either.

Boy, you are really going to get blasted on the O's hangout for dissing Tommy Hunter. He is scary and lucky.

Buck can do no wrong and Tommy Hunter is the greatest. His luck is going to run out.

I would just like to see Buck let the set-up guy in the 8th go on an pitch if he had an easy inning and

looked strong. Does he always have to bring in Hunter no matter what? I would only bring him in with a 3-4 run lead right now.

If it's a four run lead, then it wouldn't be a save situation.

Hmm... maybe you're on to something after all.

Team mates will rally to assist any other team mate whether they like them of not because it is their job and they are getting paid very well to do it.

That foolishness aside, I thik there are two schools of thought on this thread, and they are not mutually exclusive.

There is the group that is looking back and at the present who are happy that we are winning, regardless of performance. A valid viewpoint and one I think most fans on the site share.

Then there is the group looking forward and claiming that due to what we have seen in the past and present, the road we are going down does not look so bright. Also valid since future events are typically predicted based upon past experiences, and our closer letting multiple runners on base every time he takes the mound is a recipe for disaster. The team is not going to be able to save the saver all the time. He has to help a little bit.

Yes, the team is supposed to come to the aid of the pitcher. It is expected. It is their job. But the closing pitcher is not suppose to make it so difficult for the team to win. It is why he is the closer. He is supposed to be so good that he can get those outs with relative ease from the first three or four batters. Not go through half the line up with 2 and 3 guys on base, every single time. The team should only have to bail the closer out occasionally, not most of the time he takes the mound.

All of that being said, if the team does continue down this road with a bunch of "by the seat of the pants" wins and it leads right into the playoffs, I can say it will be an exciting season that I will thoroughly enjoy. (so long as I do not have heart failure)

That foolishness aside? You do realize the RedSox quit on their manager two years ago, right?

Even though it was their job and fans still paid to watch the, they quit.

If the Os didnt like Hunter being the guy in the ninth, they would have quit.

Again, its his first year. Some of you guys are expecting him to be Mo Rivera just because he was named the closer.

Stip bitc hing and enjoy what we have cuz it could be worse.

That foolishness aside? You do realize the RedSox quit on their manager two years ago, right?

Again, its his first year. Some of you guys are expecting him to be Mo Rivera just because he was named the closer.

The Red Sox quit on their manager because he was an @sshat who replaced a very fine manager.

Do you think Valentine commands as much respect as Buck?

bobbyv.jpg

The Red Sox quit on their manager because he was an @sshat who replaced a very fine manager.

Do you think Valentine commands as much respect as Buck?

bobbyv.jpg

They never wanted him. They were upset the Francona got the boot. They quit before the season started. Never gave him a chance.

Whoever the next manager was, was going to fail because that's how the players wanted it.

I do not think that a whole team of professional mature athletes just laid down and stop playing because the boss was a big meanie.

I am curious though, what does the teams preference of Hunter as closer have to do with him performing so badly?

Oh and the portion of your post that I bolded. Truly an enlightened and mature response. I hope all the Os fans on here are not so eloquent with their posts. I may not be able to keep up.

Archived