Christian Walker to be called up by the O's today

xian4

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it is a mistake to add Walker. It burns an option next year that he would not otherwise have used and it adds him to the 40 man roster an offseason earlier than necessary. He is a first baseman who had a .763 OPS in 44 games at AAA. He isn't ready and he shouldn't be here until next year. There is little upside to losing the roster flexibility for 11 games in September when we have already clinched. I hope that everyone remembers this if/when there is a 40-man roster crunch over the next 11 months.

Disagree respectfully. It is insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it is a mistake to add Walker. It burns an option next year that he would not otherwise have used and it adds him to the 40 man roster an offseason earlier than necessary. He is a first baseman who had a .763 OPS in 44 games at AAA. He isn't ready and he shouldn't be here until next year. There is little upside to losing the roster flexibility for 11 games in September when we have already clinched. I hope that everyone remembers this if/when there is a 40-man roster crunch over the next 11 months.

My thoughts exactly. There were other, more logical ways to get Pearce healthy and rested up before the ALDS.

Steve Pearce can't be rested unless Christian Walker is called up? Are we really that short on players who can play 1B?

IMO

He is being called up to fill a spot on the bench, while the current bench players fill in for Pearce.

Given that, I wouldn't be surprise to see Walker get a look here and there, now that the division is clinched, it gives the team a chance to give Walker a chance to get his feet wet with big league play.

I would think so. You don't pay 10 million dollars to a first baseman who can't hit .200, and leads the league in strike outs.

There aren't that many precedents for players who hit .190 with 200 strikeouts but also 20-some homers and a good walk rate, who just the season prior had a 1.000+ OPS and 53 homers.

But yea, this past season is all that matters, ever. In related news, I project Steve Pearce to be the 2015 AL MVP.

There aren't that many precedents for players who hit .190 with 200 strikeouts but also 20-some homers and a good walk rate, who just the season prior had a 1.000+ OPS and 53 homers.

But yea, this past season is all that matters, ever. In related news, I project Steve Pearce to be the 2015 AL MVP.

The trend is your friend.

I wish you weren't kidding because that would be awesome :)

I still believe Davis will be signed to a team friendly long term deal.

Jimmy Haynes looked like gangbusters one September. I think someone once said the worst time to judge ballplayers is during spring training and September. Walker's mid 700 OPS at AAA is already a pretty good clue that he needs more time in AAA. However, if they want to rush him up here like Schoop, they could certainly do that.

Schoop rushed? Dang, I think this is getting a bit over used.

Schoop played 70 games at AAA last season.

Schoop played 128 games at AA the year before.

Schoop played 62 games the year before that.

School played 68 games, his first year.

Grand total of 458 games, according to Baseball reference.com

I do not believe AFL are counted either.

Schoop put up a .697 OPS in half a year in AAA last season. That doesn't cry out that he probably could have used more time in AAA?

I didn't complain when he opened the season in the bigs. However, he was clearly rushed.

Clearly, DD felt he was the best option out of Lombo / Weeks / De Jesus.

Sorry, I just don't agree that he was rushed.

I would agree. It doesn't make much sense to use an option unless they want to get a very good look at Walker.

Where is Frobby when we need here>

I am not the contract expert, but I thought the five year player control, was more the amount of playing time/serving time and not based on calendar year.

So playing him a few games now, isn't really going to amount to much compared with the five year service requirement?

My apologies if I am screwed up here.

Archived