Olney On Qualifying Offer Candidates

Greg

In his latest Insider-only blog, ESPN?s Buster Olney runs down a list of pending free agents that are candidates to receive qualifying offers. Olney spoke with several executives from around the league and is of the mind that James Shields, Max Scherzer, Pablo Sandoval, Melky Cabrera, Russell Martin, Nelson Cruz, J.J. Hardy, Victor Martinez, Ervin Santana, David Robertson and Hanley Ramirez will receive qualifying offers, which should fall between $15MM and $15.5MM.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/09/olney-on-qualifying-offer-candidates.html

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is markakis excluded from this analysis due to having a team option? That is, only true FAs were considered?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure, but I don't think Nick is worth a qualifying offer. If they do that, they might as well just pick up the option since he has a 2M buyout.

I just don't see how the O's can expect to be any good next year without JJ Hardy at SS. You don't know what Manny is capable of over there or if he can even stay healthy and no one else in the system capable of handling SS.

I think they have a very good idea of what Manny is capable of over there. He played 203 games over there in the minors and they should have some small ability to translate his play at third in the majors.

I just don't see how the O's can expect to be any good next year without JJ Hardy at SS. You don't know what Manny is capable of over there or if he can even stay healthy and no one else in the system capable of handling SS.
I think they have a very good idea of what Manny is capable of over there. He played 203 games over there in the minors and they should have some small ability to translate his play at third in the majors.

Manny may not be ready for spring training even. Nothing is certain there.

That ignores the idea that they let him walk should be turn it down and receive a comp pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't see his agent turning it down. Nick's value has plummeted the past few years. I would still like to see them on a new deal. Something like a 2/22 deal wouldn't be too bad. That's more along the lines of his value.

They know what he did in the minor leagues more than two years ago at age 20 prior to two knee surgeries. That sounds reliable!

Do you really think that is all they have to go on?

They know what his lateral range is, they know his arm, they know about his ability to come in on and go out for the ball.

You don't think that someone has produced a very advanced report showing how Manny's performance at third would translate to short?

You think that little of the front office?

Guest rochester
Do you really think that is all they have to go on?

They know what his lateral range is, they know his arm, they know about his ability to come in on and go out for the ball.

You don't think that someone has produced a very advanced report showing how Manny's performance at third would translate to short?

You think that little of the front office?

But how would that translate into what he can do post surgeries on each knee. Plus, I just have not seen anything that leads me to believe (yet) that Manny will stay off the DL for a full season. Hardy is THE anchor, let alone the only real constant, of the infield. I would still go three years even with the risk of doing so provides. Sign JJ and spend time taking care of something else this winter.

But how would that translate into what he can do post surgeries on each knee. Plus, I just have not seen anything that leads me to believe (yet) that Manny will stay off the DL for a full season. Hardy is THE anchor, let alone the only real constant, of the infield. I would still go three years even with the risk of doing so provides. Sign JJ and spend time taking care of something else this winter.

Right, because Hardy hasn't been fighting back and shoulder issues this season.

Manny had pretty much the same surgery this season that he had last season. Odds are pretty good that the after-effects are going to be really similar.

This isn't Matt with his elbow.

Here is my take.

They said they would only consider moving Manny, if they got him reps during ST, not fair to move him during the regular season, and those are words directly from Buck.

Manny may not be ready to go by ST, or even opening day.

IMO

I would leave Manny at third for 2015.

Just my own opinion.

Archived