This message board needs to take a collective step back

Sanfran327

One thing I wanted to add. In the game vs the Yanks on 9/23 where the Yankees still technically had a chance of making the post season (albeit needing a miracle) Jeter came up with a chance to tie the game in the 9th. Only this time he wasn't facing a AAAA player like Meek, he was facing one of our legit bullpen men in Zach Britton. What did he do against him, Captain Clutch surely got the hit and tied the game, right? No... he struck out on 3 pitches.

Jeter, I respect you, you were a great player in your day and definitely a first ballot Hall of Famer. But I'm tired of this circus over your retirement. So eat it.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jeter' date=' I respect you, you were a great player in your day and definitely a first ballot Hall of Famer. But I'm tired of this circus over your retirement. So eat it.[/quote']

I'm sure there were Yankee fans who posted vitriol-filled comments while be forced to watch the circus celebration of Cal Ripken breaking their beloved Lou Gerhig's consecutive game record. And then being forced several years later to endure the Ripken circus a second time with his Jeter-like retirement celebration. Or did you also grow tired of them and tell Orioles fans to eat it?

My two cents on the subject and then I'm done:

The only way I would hate to see this all pan out is if we make a quick and forgettable exit in the ALDS, and that the only thing baseball fans outside of Baltimore would remember the 2014 Orioles for is the team that gave up Derek Jeter's last walkoff hit. And inevitably, that's probably what would happen in such a scenario.

This team deserves way more of a legacy than that. We're way too good for just being known as that.

Thankfully, I think we can win the ALDS. I think we can win ALCS. Hell, I think we can go ahead and win the whole damn enchilada if things work out right for us.

Listen, objectively speaking, last night was a fairly memorable baseball moment from one of the game's better players. And that I'm perfectly fine with. The only problem is, that it's New York, and the entire New York mindset is that everything that happens with New York is the greatest thing ever and everything that happens outside of New York is pretty much meaningless. And they will let you know it. Oh, will they ever let you know it!

I mean, does any baseball fan honestly believe that the 1969 Mets were the first underdog team ever to score an upset in the World Series? In their heart of hearts, of course not. But that doesn't stop anyone from the NY-NJ area talking about the Amazin' Mets like they were just so unprecedented and romanticizing the hell out of it.

So we'll get to hear on and on about Derek Jeter and his amazing walk-off hit last night. Fine. As I said in another thread, let that be their postseason. We'll have our postseason to earn our real glory.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Fun Fact. Someone said last night that Jeter's last walkoff hit was in ................ 2007.

It was also the first game he ever played at home were the Yankees had already been eliminated from postseason competition. So it's not like he really contributed to anything meaningful.

Kind of like how Mussina's only 20 win season for the Yankees was in a year where they missed the playoffs.

o

I would like to try to cheer people up a bit.

In light of the fact that the Orioles won the division, and the Yankees' season will be over after Sunday's season finale against the Red Sox, Yankee fans need to amend their chant this weekend at Fenway Park in eastern Massachusetts.

The chant needs to be amended to ........ "Let's go HOME, Yankees ........ clap, clap ........ clap, clap, clap."

o

My two cents on the subject and then I'm done:

The only way I would hate to see this all pan out is if we make a quick and forgettable exit in the ALDS, and that the only thing baseball fans outside of Baltimore would remember the 2014 Orioles for is the team that gave up Derek Jeter's last walkoff hit. And inevitably, that's probably what would happen in such a scenario.

Why would anyone remember that?

They might remember Jeter's walkoff hit, sure. But nobody cares what team it came against.

Without looking it up, could you name:

*the team that gave up Barry Bonds' record-breaking homerun?

*the team that gave up Hank Aaron's record-breaking homerun before that?

*the team that gave up the 3,000th hit to [insert any name here-- Tony Gwynn, Willie Mays, Pete Rose, etc.]

When players do historic things, nobody gives a flying fig what team it came against. A year from now, there's not a person in the world who would think "The 2014 Orioles? Oh yeah, they gave up that hit to Jeter."

PeteU said:

My two cents on the subject, and then I'm done:

o

I don't believe that that will be the case.

As I pointed out in yesterday's game thread, a very memorable game from the 1979 season was the "Munson game." In a game that was televised nationally on Monday Night Baseball just 4 days after the Yankee captain died in a plane crash, Munson's best friend (Bobby Murcer) knocked in all 5 runs in a thrilling, come-from behind 5-4 win over the Orioles.

To this day, the game is played on "Yankee Classics" in the YES network, and is something that many Oriole fans (myself included) and Yankee fans will always remember.

However ........ that game is nowhere near as memorable as that magical, American League Championship 1979 season that the Orioles had.

The Orioles' dominant regular season, their thrashing of the Angels in that year's A.L.C.S., and the crushing (but very close) loss to the Pirates in that year's World Series are all much more memorable than the Munson game (in my rat's ass of an opinion.)

When all is said and done, I suspect that the same will be true when people look back on this 2014 season, ESPECIALLY if the Orioles win the pennant, and are one of two teams that are still standing on baseball's biggest stage in next month's World Series.

o

Why would anyone remember that?

They might remember Jeter's walkoff hit, sure. But nobody cares what team it came against.

Without looking it up, could you name:

*the team that gave up Barry Bonds' record-breaking homerun?

*the team that gave up Hank Aaron's record-breaking homerun before that?

*the team that gave up the 3,000th hit to [insert any name here-- Tony Gwynn, Willie Mays, Pete Rose, etc.]

When players do historic things, nobody gives a flying fig what team it came against. A year from now, there's not a person in the world who would think "The 2014 Orioles? Oh yeah, they gave up that hit to Jeter."

I agree in main part with all that you say. (Although as an aside, Al Downing of the Los Angeles Dodger's name will always best be remembered as the guy who gave up Aaron's 715th home run.)

I'm not necessarily saying that the 2014 Orioles would be so remembered as the team who gave up Jeter's last hit. I'm just saying, I don't want there to be a situation where the most notable event featuring the Orioles in the 2014 MLB highlight reel is them giving up the Jeter hit.

If we were to make a quick exit in the ALDS, that might be the case, sadly.

Yes, winning the division is notable--for the fans of that team. Playing the in the ALDS is notable--for the fans of that team. But to the average baseball fan outside the team's fanbase, those two feats without further accomplishments isn't really all that extraordinary. After all, it happens every year.

As I said, I think we can go beyond the ALDS, and maybe even the ALCS. And in that event, the Orioles will have something for the non-Orioles fans to remember them by other than just watching Jeter walk off against them.

PeteU said:

I agree in main part with all that you say. (Although as an aside, Al Downing of the Los Angeles Dodger's name will always best be remembered as the guy who gave up Aaron's 715th home run.)

I'm not necessarily saying that the 2014 Orioles would be so remembered as the team who gave up Jeter's last hit. I'm just saying, I don't want there to be a situation where the most notable event featuring the Orioles in the 2014 MLB highlight reel is them giving up the Jeter hit.

Yes, winning the division is notable--for the fans of that team. Playing the in the ALDS is notable--for the fans of that team. But to the average baseball fan outside the team's fanbase, those two feats without further accomplishments isn't really all that extraordinary. After all, it happens every year.

As I said, I think we can go beyond the ALDS, and maybe even the ALCS. And in that event, the Orioles will have something for the non-Orioles fans to remember them by other than just watching Jeter walk off against them.

o

Same here.

I was in 3rd grade at the time, and I remember the Dodgers outfielder (Bill Buckner) immediately climbing the fence, desperately trying to get his hands on the coveted ball.

o

The point is that nobody sees replays of these historic events and thinks, in the Hank Aaron situation, "man, those Dodgers were a bunch of chumps." Nobody cares that the O's gave up this hit except for O's fans, which to me is silly in and of itself, but these are two different topics.

IIRC, we had to watch Brady Anderson strike out on ball 4 with Cal on deck in his final game. The Yankees, Jeter, and their fans got a different treat. This is why I say try enjoy this for what it is if you can, and don't sling venom for something that it isn't (ie, a devastating, confidence-shattering loss). I understand - and frequently experience - moments of sports-induced anger, but irrational outrage is more or less a tantrum. If you want to throw a tantrum, do it privately. And certainly don't bad mouth Buck Showalter, who would probably be rolling on the ground in hysteric laughter if he were to read some of the comments about how he mismanaged the game.

Tonight's game thread is a train wreck. I get hating the Yankees and hating on Jeter, but get a grip. This is an instant classic moment in sports and, frankly, US history. Enjoy it.

It won't bother you so much when we win a championship.

I agree. I get we're supposed to hate the Yankees, but some people need to get a grip. We are the #2 seed in the playoffs, and this game meant nothing. Buck played his B team and had a bunch of relievers not available, and we still came roaring back in the 9th. In any normal game, you walk Jeter in that spot 99.999999% of the time to set up the double play, but no way in Hell that happens during a Hall of Famer's final at bat at home. This game meant nothing to us, unless you thought we were gonna win the last four games and the Angels were gonna lose all their final games. Buck did right. The Orioles showed class. And Jeter got his moment. End of story.

As Buck said, "Jeter got his moment, but the O's get to keep playing."

Archived