Peter Angelos' Redemption

beervendor

After building a reputation for micromanaging (meddling?) and taking much of the blame for running the organization into the proverbial ground, it appears Peter Angelos finally learned how to do this ownership thing. He hired the management and left the baseball people to do all of the baseballing. Not saying it's time just yet, but a lot of folks in and around Baltimore (and OH) might be owing PA a big fat "Thank You" pretty soon. Pucker up, O's fans!

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well we have a lot of winning to make up for some real damn dumb decisions Angelos made over the years. But the pain has worn off. Three years of winning is making me more forgiving to Angelos.

Angelos always wanted to win......he just didnt know how.

Well we have a lot of winning to make up for some real damn dumb decisions Angelos made over the years. But the pain has worn off. Three years of winning is making me more forgiving to Angelos.

Angelos always wanted to win......he just didnt know how.

This...he did seem gun-shy over signing free agents after the Albert Belle fiasco. I know we got re-reimbursed for 70% of Angry Albert's salary due to it being covered by insurance.

He gave away 1400 playoff tickets to disadvantaged youth. I doubt there are too many owners who would do that with guranteed sell outs. I think we get caught up grading owners on wins and loses when that isn't really what makes you a good owner.

He gave away 1400 playoff tickets to disadvantaged youth. I doubt there are too many owners who would do that with guranteed sell outs. I think we get caught up grading owners on wins and loses when that isn't really what makes you a good owner.

Well said.

The recent success does not, for me, redeem him for all the years of losing that were due in large part, IMO, to his surrounding himself with mediocrity and believing, mistakenly, that he knew how to run a baseball team. Marked improvement? Yes. A capacity to learn from one's own mistakes? It looks like it. But nothing close to redemption.

Guy has done infinitely more for charity than I will ever be able to do (in all likelihood).

Not knowing any better, I'm assuming he has performed extraordinary deeds for and paid large amounts of money to many worthy charities and causes. That generosity has nothing to do with what he did to the Orioles through his arrogance, egotism, ignorance and pig-headedness.

Not knowing any better, I'm assuming he has performed extraordinary deeds for and paid large amounts of money to many worthy charities and causes. That generosity has nothing to do with what he did to the Orioles through his arrogance, egotism, ignorance and pig-headedness.

So really, what is the point of continuing to hold a grudge about that. Sounds like he's since redeemed himself by hiring all the right people and letting them operate at their will. Or he could have kept screwing up. What do you prefer?

Archived