What is Wieters' Value After The Russell Martin Deal?

TonySoprano

Well if he is super productive in 2015 he could help us win the division and get back in the playoffs. That is better than trading him for a prospect.

I agree. If he had been super productive in 2014, we likely could have traded him this winter for a more valuable return. But que sera, sera.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We won't be trading him for a prospect. We will give him a qualifying offer.

This ^^^

Matt has no real trade value until he returns healthy and productive. Trading him now would net you essentially nothing of value.

Unless we completely out of the race come the deadline which I doubt or Matt is floundering (which would make him again of little trade value) then I doubt he is traded. If he is doing well then he is an essential cog for a team with WS aspirations, if he flounders he is of little value.

The most likely scenario if he returns productive and healthy is that he plays out the year and the O's extend a QO while trying to reach a deal with him.

I think if Buck says he want's Weiters back, Dan would sign him long term. That is what happened with Hardy. I am not sure if Buck loves him that much. Really the worst thing for Wieters value is that he was lost for the year, and really not missed.

The Hardy contract is very defendable. Wieters' future deal will be much less so.

I think if Buck says he want's Weiters back, Dan would sign him long term. That is what happened with Hardy. I am not sure if Buck loves him that much. Really the worst thing for Wieters value is that he was lost for the year, and really not missed.

Buck has been talking about wanting the team to extend Wieters for two years. Have you seen their interactions in the dugout, especially this year. Buck is a huge

fan of his

I don't think Dan will spend 80 million dollars on someone just cuz Buck likes him.

Martin signing probably puts Toronto out of the running for Cabrera

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/17/russell-martin-signing-likely-takes-blue-jays-out-of-the-running-for-melky-cabrera/

The article states that Seattle is interested in Cabrera. That would take them out of the running for Cruz. His market could be shrinking.

Martin signing probably puts Toronto out of the running for Cabrera

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/17/russell-martin-signing-likely-takes-blue-jays-out-of-the-running-for-melky-cabrera/

The article states that Seattle is interested in Cabrera. That would take them out of the running for Cruz. His market could be shrinking.

There was an article saying that Cabrera didn't want to play on the west coast though.

Maybe not defensively with Joseph and in pitch framing, but you can't tell me they didn't miss his bat as the season wore on. Other than the occasional pop by Hundley and that brief tear by Joseph, the two of them couldn't cut the mustard over the course of the season offensively, especially late in the season.

Roch's a day late ;)

So what exactly is Matt Wieters worth? I suppose we'll have a better idea after the 2015 season, his first following ligament-reconstructive surgery on his right elbow. He turns 29 in May.

In his last full season before the injury, Wieters batted .235/.287/.417 with 29 doubles, 22 home runs and 79 RBIs in 148 games. He was hitting .308/.339/.500 with five doubles, five home runs and 18 RBIs in 26 games this season before succumbing to the elbow injury. He owns two Gold Glove Awards and is a three-time All-Star.

Martin batted .290/.402/.430 for the Pirates this season, with 20 doubles, 11 home runs and 67 RBIs in 111 games. He won a Gold Glove in 2007 with the Dodgers and is a three-time All-Star.

What kind of deal can Wieters expect now that Martin has signed? Take your best shot.

source - Roch

Just to have it all in one place, here are the largest deals given out to catchers (active players only):

Mauer 8/$184 mm

Posey 9/$167 mm

McCann 5/$85 mm

Martin 5/$82 mm

Molina 5/$75 mm

Montero 5/$60 mm

Saltalamacchia 3/$21 mm

Suzuki 2/$12 mm

Ianetta 2/$10.4 mm

That's quite a range there. You've got Mauer and Posey in the stratosphere, McCann/Martin/Molina/Montero all on hefty five-year deals, and then you have everyone else. Assuming Wieters comes back and has a solid year, I don't see any way he gets less than 5 years, but I am not sure he gets more, either.

Archived