Joba to begin season in pen, go to minors in June

TGO

And when Girardi's Yankees find themselves 9 1/2 games behind the juggernaut Red Sox by the end of May with their bullpen in tatters, are we really to believe that they'll follow through on this plan through while the Tigers/Indians/Mariners/Angels bury them deeper in the wild card race?

• 2 months later...
And it begins! ;)

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3356490&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

Nothing like dem O's whooping on Hughes and Kennedy to put Steinbrenner the Younger into a panic.

How old is Hank Steinbrenner?

Yankees co-chairman Hank Steinbrenner, like his father George, has never been one to mince words. When it comes to where pitcher Joba Chamberlain should be -- the bullpen or the starting rotation -- the younger Steinbrenner's expectations are crystal clear.

"I want him as a starter and so does everyone else, including him, and that is what we are working toward and we need him there now," Steinbrenner told the New York Times. "There is no question about it, you don't have a guy with a 100-mile-per-hour fastball and keep him as a setup guy. You just don't do that. You have to be an idiot to do that."

"The mistake was already made last year switching him to the bullpen out of panic or whatever," Steinbrenner told the newspaper. "I had no say in it last year and I wouldn't have allowed it. That was done last year, so now we have to catch up. It has to be done on a schedule so we don't rush him.""

Like father, like son.

I have a feeling the more people see him, the more hittable he'll become. Even Luis Hernandez got a hit off him. He stinks!

Luis Hernandez... the ultimate litmus test! ;)

I think Joba in a starter's role weakens the Yankees, and baby Steinbrenner is a moron. One of the reasons you keep Joba in the setup role is that it effectively shortens the game to 7 innings. If the Yanks have the lead after 7, Joba/Rivera (much like the Rivera/Wetteland duo) have a fair shot at finishing off the opponent.

Put Joba in the rotation... who gets the ball to Rivera in the 9th? Farsworth? Hawkins? Yeah... right...

Hank is going to be fun. He is developing into the "everything that goes right I get credit for, but everything that goes wrong is your fault" type, the type that smart people like Brian Cashman do not work for. With their income it seems impossible that any single person can derail the Yanks long-term, and surely they will be competitive with a chance to win it most years. But Hank is the best thing that could happen for the rest of the AL East.

Hank is going to be fun. He is developing into the "everything that goes right I get credit for, but everything that goes wrong is your fault" type, the type that smart people like Brian Cashman do not work for. With their income it seems impossible that any single person can derail the Yanks long-term, and surely they will be competitive with a chance to win it most years. But Hank is the best thing that could happen for the rest of the AL East.

He sounds familiar, doesn't he? I do agree it should be fun to watch him run the Yankees into the ground like we're all to familiar with.

Pretty soon MFY fans will be saying, "I wish that Peter Angelos would buy these guys." Hank is the best thing to happen to O's fans in years. When FA are offered the same amount of money from the Sox, or O's and MFY's nobody is going to the MFY's. I wouldn't be surprised if Girardi quit and Cashman too, especially if Hank starts telling them who is going to start and who is in the pen.

Archived