Rasmus to Astros... our offseason is horrible

MemorialStadKid

This has been a horrible offseason. Not because we didn't sign Rasmus, mind you. With the Duquette stories regarding Toronto, it just seems like somebody is asleep at the switch. But this team is built to win in 2015, and the front office has completely failed to add pieces that will make this a better team.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rasmus had an awful year last year, I mean seriously bad, and we're upset we didn't waste $8m on him?

I know not everyone agrees, but a De Aza/Alvarez platoon is cheaper and just as good if not better as far as I'm concerned.

My biggest worry is we lack a lead off hitter, which Rasmus didn't solve. Honestly our best bet may be Pearce, but really, we don't have one. We haven't developed one anytime recently, either. That's discouraging.

Someone buy the man a drink!

A tight budget has never stopped Billy Beane from trying to improve? Get creative. Dump the expensive overachievers (Norris) and trade or underachievers.

I certainly could have advocated a trade from our strength (SP) for a solid OF like some of those you mentioned previously but I think even if Dan wanted to go this route, he may have been handcuffed a bit by Buck. I believe Buck strongly prefers to go into ST with 7 or so guys to fill 5 slots--something I don't have any strong objection to. Our best chips were probably Tillman or Bud but I'm fairly sure neither of those guys gets you anyone on Heyward or Upton's level. TB would have had zero desire to add 5-8M of salary for Myers.

I never expect anything in the off season. Ever. Aaand I'm still terribly bored with the total lack of anything. Nick and Miller? Fine. But letting Cruz go so we can use the money to over pay just about every returning player is poor roster management. I hope DD does something in the next six weeks because this team isn't good enough and, as of right now, we'll have four more regulars leaving after this season.

I certainly could have advocated a trade from our strength (SP) for a solid OF like some of those you mentioned previously but I think even if Dan wanted to go this route, he may have been handcuffed a bit by Buck. I believe Buck strongly prefers to go into ST with 7 or so guys to fill 5 slots--something I don't have any strong objection to. Our best chips were probably Tillman or Bud but I'm fairly sure neither of those guys gets you anyone on Heyward or Upton's level. TB would have had zero desire to add 5-8M of salary for Myers.

The Cardinals traded Shelby Miller straight up for Jason Heyward. You could make an argument that Tillman is a better SP. At worst, he's definitely comparable.

This has been a horrible offseason. Not because we didn't sign Rasmus, mind you. With the Duquette stories regarding Toronto, it just seems like somebody is asleep at the switch. But this team is built to win in 2015, and the front office has completely failed to add pieces that will make this a better team.

This. I can understand feelin this was an underwhelming offseason but using Rasmus as your "broken" back is crazy. I never thoughts hey would do much, even after losing Markakis and Cruz.

The Cardinals traded Shelby Miller straight up for Jason Heyward. You could make an argument that Tillman is a better SP. At worst, he's definitely comparable.

Yeah, but Heyward has seen his OPS go .814, .776, .735 the last three years. Homers have dropped from 27 to 14 to 11. And he's supposed to be hitting his prime now. Maybe he has a huge rebound in St. Louis, but he's trending the wrong way.

This. I understand we have limited resources, but after this year this team is going to significantly change shape. We are a Final Four team that has regressed this offseason. I see a lot of "This guys not worth $$$ for this level of production". Well the market disagrees as that's what teams are paying. If you wait around for the scraps, you really risk failure. We got unbelievably lucky with Cruz last year. To expect to hit pay dirt twice is a leap of faith. We were exposed in the postseason last year and nothing has been done to fix our weaknesses. It's very frustrating.

My biggest worry is we lack a lead off hitter, which Rasmus didn't solve. Honestly our best bet may be Pearce, but really, we don't have one. We haven't developed one anytime recently, either. That's discouraging.
I would rather trade someone for. Blackmon

, nothing very significant, than spend money on Rasmus.

I completely agree John. I am worried about the leadoff spot, and Rasmus would not have solved that. I have a feeling that we are going to deal for Blackmon now, and hopefully that will fill that hole, but his splits do scare me a little.

Archived