Pearce's durability

Just Regular

I thought Duquette was playing semantics when I read his arbitration reaction quote that Pearce had a great year in "about 300 PA's".

I looked it up and it was 383. The first thought was, that rounds to 400 not 300 - posturing for the arbitrators is already under way. I imagine Duquette's context for that particular round down is 300 vs. 600.

I have hopes for Pearce as a semi-regular again, but don't think he can be planned for a 6-7 days a week load, even if last year's 160 OPS+ "only" regresses to a still strong point where you want the bat as much as you can.

Buck had to nurse his wrist in September. Combining majors and minors, he had 500 PA+ seasons from 2006-2009 (when he was young), but last year's 383 is his best since then. From 2010 on, it's been 204, 149, 340, 151 and 383 plate appearances.

Granted for much of that time he earned MLB reserve time, so maybe the raw PA totals aren't a straight reflection of his durability, but I think hoping for 600 PA's is in its own way as unlikely as hoping for another 160 OPS+.

It didn't have to be Rasmus, but we could use another outfielder, and Schierholtz or trading for one of the extras in San Diego or Los Angeles would help protect Alvarez or Walker (with Davis sliding back out) from a Schoop-thrown-into-the fire repeat at some point this year. We skated by with Schoop last year, but it was close and I think he's a notch or two more talented than our high minors guys.

I thought Duquette was playing semantics when I read his arbitration reaction quote that Pearce had a great year in "about 300 PA's".

I looked it up and it was 383. The first thought was, that rounds to 400 not 300 - posturing for the arbitrators is already under way. I imagine Duquette's context for that particular round down is 300 vs. 600.

Sounds like he is "working for us" all along.

I have hopes for Pearce as a semi-regular again, but don't think he can be planned for a 6-7 days a week load, even if last year's 160 OPS+ "only" regresses to a still strong point where you want the bat as much as you can.

Buck had to nurse his wrist in September. Combining majors and minors, he had 500 PA+ seasons from 2006-2009 (when he was young), but last year's 383 is his best since then. From 2010 on, it's been 204, 149, 340, 151 and 383 plate appearances.

Granted for much of that time he earned MLB reserve time, so maybe the raw PA totals aren't a straight reflection of his durability, but I think hoping for 600 PA's is in its own way as unlikely as hoping for another 160 OPS+.

It didn't have to be Rasmus, but we could use another outfielder, and Schierholtz or trading for one of the extras in San Diego or Los Angeles would help protect Alvarez or Walker (with Davis sliding back out) from a Schoop-thrown-into-the fire repeat at some point this year. We skated by with Schoop last year, but it was close and I think he's a notch or two more talented than our high minors guys.

I agree that it's a huge gamble to count on 600 PA from Pearce, or Delmon Young for that matter.

But I'd rather give David Lough 400 AB than sign Nate Schierholtz. And I am far from being a fan of David Lough!

Archived