Manfred: Eliminate Shifts

weams

Well,the left handed pull hitter population was significant enough for teams to employ the shift almost 14,000 times last. Nearly six times more than just 5years ago. And that number is almost exclusively used for left handers. The shift is rarely used against right handed hitters.

That really isn't a huge number. That is less than one full-time hitter per team.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That really isn't a huge number. That is less than one full-time hitter per team.

Yeah and look how effective it has been against some of the best hitters in the game. What if it use continues to expand at the same rate it has over the last five years. I'm not saying get rid of it entirely. I think a modified shift like the one Verducci suggest is okay with me.

Two sabermetrically inclined "GM's" were in favor of banning the shifts completely. Wanna guess who that might be?

The two mentioned by name in this tweet.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>To paraphrase: Who do casual fans want to see compete, Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout or Andrew Friedman and Jerry Dipoto?</p>— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) <a href="

">January 25, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The two mentioned by name in this tweet.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>To paraphrase: Who do casual fans want to see compete, Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout or Andrew Friedman and Jerry Dipoto?</p>— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) <a href="

">January 25, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Nice work.

So, we have a commissioner that wants to restrict teams from playing defensive players where a hitter is most likely to hit the ball, unless the hitter happens to be most likely to hit the ball where the commissioner thinks defenders should play. Is that right?

So, we have a commissioner that wants to restrict teams from playing defensive players where a hitter is most likely to hit the ball, unless the hitter happens to be most likely to hit the ball where the commissioner thinks defenders should play. Is that right?

To me the eliminating shifts isn't as bad as not realizing how small an impact on scoring there would be.

Also, "speeding up the game" and "increasing offense" are diametrically opposed, even though he seems to imply they are somehow related. A 2-1 game will, generally, be shorter than a 10-9 game.

Just wanted to add, they are not opposed. Speeding up the game means getting a pitch every 20 seconds or whatever they want. Which is more interesting? A slow paced 2-1 game that takes 3 hours, or a fast paced 11-10 game that lasts 4 hours. See what I mean? A play every 30 seconds. Or a play every 50? Score makes no difference.

Teams and fans overvalue the home run. That is why you have so many strike outs and people pulling the ball. If you outlaw the shift it makes a mockery of the game. I would be done with baseball at that point. Good players don't get the shift against them. Could you imagine if the employed the shift against Rod Carew? He would hit over .500.

Teams and fans overvalue the home run. That is why you have so many strike outs and people pulling the ball. If you outlaw the shift it makes a mockery of the game. I would be done with baseball at that point. Good players don't get the shift against them. Could you imagine if the employed the shift against Rod Carew? He would hit over .500.

I'm never done with baseball.

Lots of ways to increase runs without rewarding bad players who don't know how to hit. Eliminate foul balls being strikes. Decrease the size of foul territory. Lower the mounds, juice the balls, make them cut the grass shorter in infields, move the fences in some parks. Every pitcher who comes in has to pitch to at least 4 batters.

Or maybe don't fix what isn't broken.

Archived