Poll: Duquette to the Blue Jays. Is it over? (Beeston re-signs for 2015 season)

Flacco Machado

Is it over?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Is it over?

He could retire tommorrow if they found a successor. I find it interesting that they added the word "retires" to their press release. It gives them a quick out in terms of PR.

On the other hand, they brought Beeston back in 2008 as "interim" CEO and one of his tasks then was to find a permanent one. He has theoretically been "retiring" ever since then. Beeston might still be there when Verizon gets around to absorbing Rogers.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On the other hand, they brought Beeston back in 2008 as "interim" CEO and one of his tasks then was to find a permanent one. He has theoretically been "retiring" ever since then. Beeston might still be there when Verizon gets around to absorbing Rogers.
Rogers could be out of Rogers completely before Beeston leaves.

My opinion is that Angelos views this as a sign of disloyalty from a man he gave the longest contract of any of his front office personnel.
And I don't blame him. Duquette is loyal to one thing -- his own career. Not to the Orioles as a team. I'm sure that Duquette will do a decent job, but it will be for his own reputation, his own legacy.

It would be very interesting to know how much discussion took place between the Blue Jays and Duquette before PA found out. If it was more that a very limited amount, I can certainly see some long-term damage to the relationship. Nobody likes to feel like they've been played, especially if it goes public.

One of Duquette's greatest strengths is/was the degree that he has autonomy compared to the GM's of the past decade or so. If that trust is gone and PA feels the urge to get involved again, that would be a disaster IMO.

Rogers could be out of Rogers completely before Beeston leaves.

Precisely. I think this is what is most likely to happen in 2015, the removal of Ed Rogers from any responsibilities associated with the Blue Jays. All of Canada is up in arms about his blundering. This provides the fuel for Guy Laurence to boot him out entirely. Since this whole escapade was completely an Ed Rogers production, I suspect the Blue Jays don't try to poach any executive under contract when they replace Beeston next year. And they're certainly not going to try Angelos again. I do not believe that everyone associated with Rogers Communications is a fool.

And I don't blame him. Duquette is loyal to one thing -- his own career. Not to the Orioles as a team. I'm sure that Duquette will do a decent job, but it will be for his own reputation, his own legacy.

Money. Fame. Career advancement. Pride. Blind luck. Combination of some or all.

People perform well at their jobs for a wide variety of motives. I really don't care what motivates DD to do well, so long as he does.

Precisely. I think this is what is most likely to happen in 2015, the removal of Ed Rogers from any responsibilities associated with the Blue Jays. All of Canada is up in arms about his blundering. This provides the fuel for Guy Laurence to boot him out entirely. Since this whole escapade was completely an Ed Rogers production, I suspect the Blue Jays don't try to poach any executive under contract when they replace Beeston next year. And they're certainly not going to try Angelos again. I do not believe that everyone associated with Rogers Communications is a fool.

Well, They may be, But Guy Laurence already got Ed and Melinda (his sister) out of the company day to day. I doubt he will have much trouble after this. I am certain that is why Ed Rogers was forced to do the announcement himself.

Archived