Nice Story about Alex Rodriguez

bobmc

Like you said his image is already beyond repair.

Bonds could prove to be a great asset in helping Arod get up to speed.

He is also probably one of the few people who can relate to what Arod has gone through in the media.

I'm not rooting for Arod to do well, I am rooting for Arod to finish out his contract.

I think this move increases his chances.

What exactly makes you think that because he was a great player, Bonds is also a great personal trainer or mentor?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What exactly makes you think that because he was a great player, Bonds is also a great personal trainer or mentor?

That would be why I said "could".

We know that Bonds is a smart guy who worked very hard and was incredibly skilled in baseball. We also know that he has plenty of experience dealing with a negative media. Seems to me that his input could be useful.

That would be why I said "could".

We know that Bonds is a smart guy who worked very hard and was incredibly skilled in baseball. We also know that he has plenty of experience dealing with a negative media. Seems to me that his input could be useful.

But was he successful in "dealing with a negative media"? General Custer has "plenty of experience" dealing with hostile Native Americans.

But was he successful in "dealing with a negative media"? General Custer has "plenty of experience" dealing with hostile Native Americans.

You can't learn from failure?

Anyway I don't think Bonds let the negative media attention effect his game, which is something Arod could use.

I'm stuck in between wanting ARod to hit the milestones so the Yankees have to pay up and him swinging so hard in spring training that he takes himself out and the whole left side of the infield.

And again how much can he really learn at 39 years old? Even if Bonds is considered the greatest hitter of his generation, ARod has to be considered next. At this point I do think image should be a big consideration for him and his "legacy".

I disagree.

Arod's image is irrecoverably tarnished at this point. What he needs is the right folks to get him prepared for the 2015 season.

If he was working with someone respected like Cal or someone universally liked such as Thome, would it make a difference?

Of course it would. Whether or not you think that Bonds is the guy to get you in shape after a season long suspension is irrelevant. There are optics involved...but then again ARod has never really cared about things like that. HOF voters aside, people are generally very forgiving. This type of thing doesn't lend it self to someone trying to be forgiven...it's more of a middle finger to the whole situation.

Yes. That would make a difference. Just because his image is already horrible and beyond repair doesn't make it a good idea to continue to push it even further down the toilet than it already is by reaching out and training with to someone like Barry Bonds.

You're the only person that I know of that actually thinks that Rodriguez mentoring up/buddying up with Barry Bonds is a good idea for Rodriguez.

Right now, I'd say associating with Alex tarnishes Barry's image.

I'm a little doubtful that ARod going after milestone bonuses from the Yankees is the best way to try to mend his reputation. Now, if he's going for team jackass, he's - as always - on the right path. Maybe the best way for the Yankees to respond is to put an ARod uni on a mascot dressed as a donkey and have the mascot get beat up every game.

I'm a little doubtful that ARod going after milestone bonuses from the Yankees is the best way to try to mend his reputation. Now, if he's going for team jackass, he's - as always - on the right path. Maybe the best way for the Yankees to respond is to put an ARod uni on a mascot dressed as a donkey and have the mascot get beat up every game.

I would think fans of 29 teams would be tickled Arod is going for those bonuses.

I sure hope he gets them. (I think he has, at most, a shot at two of them)

I am much more worried about the Yankees then I am Arod.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived