Grantland: 10 Worst Contracts

skanar

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've always been conflicted about Belle's name being on "bad contracts" lists namely because he fell victim to a career-ending chronic hip condition. That is different than age catching up with a player. Belle had just turned 33 and was still very productive when the hip problem was diagnosed during the 2000 season. If Belle had remained healthy, there is no reason to believe he wouldn't have continued to be a very productive hitter for the remaining 3 years of his contract.

I also give Belle credit for trying his absolute hardest to rehab and keep playing despite the injury and excruciating pain. The O's basically had to step in and order him to quit when they saw that he could barely make it down the first base line.

I don't think Jimenez even warrants mention in that article. Other then walks, Jimenez wasn't as bad as it seemed. His contract is the going rate for an average MLB starting pitcher.

Agreed. If you are going to put Ubaldo on there, you need to have Nolasco there too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Hampton

Darren Dreifort

Barry Zito

Denny Neagle

Chan Ho Park

Kei Igawa

CC SabathiaII

ArodII

Jason Schmidt

Gary Matthews Jr.

Carlos Silva

Ryan Howard

Albert Pujols

Price Fielder

Josh Hamilton

B.J. Upton

Justin Verlander

Matt Kemp

Edwin Jackson

John Danks

Carl Crawford

Dan Uggla

Ricky Nolasco

Carl Pavano

R.A. Dickey

Vernon Wells

Still ticked that the dodgers bailed out the Red Sox on those big commitments (re: Crawford above)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived