Roch: Ubaldo Did Not Throw While A Free Agent

weams

Jimenez didn't sign with the Orioles last year until February, disrupting his normal preparation for the season

"It changed everything because I didn't prepare as I used to. I didn't throw bullpens until I came here to spring training. I didn't throw in a game. I didn't throw anything."

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

“The thing is I need to do that. Every year before I come to spring training, I usually throw a lot of bullpens. I throw live batting practice. I throw even in games. Last year was the only time I didn’t do that because I didn’t sign on time."

This is really interesting. Can you imagine what happens to our team is Ubaldo is effective? That really changes the makeup of what we can do at the trading deadline.

Yep. Based on his career and what he did last season, I have been thinking (and others have stated) that he could be a real dark horse candidate to be a huge "addition" to the 2015 team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really didn't like the signing (mostly because of surrendering the pick), and then Ubaldo went and had a really rough year.

However, I gotta admit, I have really come to admire the guy. Everything he says and does screams professional, team player. He's a class act. He handled last season like a pro.

I'm glad he is on the team and I believe he will come through and be a quality nugget for the next three years. I'm wondering if he can be that electric Andrew Miller-type bullpen guy who can come in when the game is in danger of blowing open and we need a couple big outs. I know that's not what we paid him for, but that would be a huge help. We'll need him as a starter next year when we lose Chen and Norris.

I'm not sure how not throwing during the offseason really hurt him. He had the same loss of command that has always plagued him.

Or the loss of velocity that was evident until after his injury through his way of getting outs out of whack. Either.

This is interesting. I can't really blame him for not throwing, if he were to injure himself he would be left with nothing. Perhaps this is a reason that teams should make an effort not to wait until the end of the off-season to sign free agent pitchers.

This was my thought as well. Wouldn't want to injure himself w/o a contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is interesting. I can't really blame him for not throwing, if he were to injure himself he would be left with nothing. Perhaps this is a reason that teams should make an effort not to wait until the end of the off-season to sign free agent pitchers.

I feel this way. Now, on a guy that has been sore? It might be a godsend!

I like Ubaldo. I really do. But just to be accurate, didn't he OPT to NOT want to be with his teammates in the playoffs because he wasn't on the roster?

He wanted to be on the roster. He wasn't on the roster. There was something that he needed to take care of at home that he would have put off if he were on the roster. He had been pitching really well at the end of the season. I am sure it hurt that he had nothing to contribute.

Archived