The O's Most Difficult Cut(s) this Spring?

wildcard

o

Was that before or after he spent an inning talking about how to sight fish off the piers? Seriously, a Minnesota color guy knows nothing about our rotation that you don't.
usa-minnesota-ice-fishing-shack.jpg

Remember that Grateful Dead song, Minnesota Getaway?

Minnesota getaway, getaway ......

Minnesota getaway, getaway ......

Only way to please me, just gotta leave and walk away.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why do you think Schoop and Flaherty's jobs are in jeopardy but Cabrera's isn't?

Just a prediction. Flaherty is a slow starter and if Schoop doesn't show improvement he could benefit from getting everyday AB's in AAA. He's still young. Go with the vet out of the gate. Then bring up the hand. Same thing could be done with the OF spot. Go with Lough and see if Reimold and Alvarez force your hand.

I don't understand his math either. Between OD and June 5 I count 7x a 5th starter is needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As you know. I did not do the math. I was just (incorrectly) quoting what I had read.

According to the Minnesota game anouncer this afternoon, the competition is between Gaus and Ubaldo for the 5th starter spot. According to him, Gonzo will be the #4 starter. If that's the case, Gausman will be #5 and Ubaldo will go to the pen. Ubaldo was a lot better than during his first ST start, but he still needs a lot more work. He might actually not be a bad reliever, coming in for an inning or two for a while. When he gets his stuff together (and/or if someone is injured), he'll crack the rotation again.

If both Gonzo and Ubaldo make the team, either in the bullpen or in the rotation, then you need to bump at least one of Britton, O'Day, Wright, Garcia, Matusz, Hunter, or Brach. (And that is assuming that Webb is gone). They are all out of options, except Garcia who needs to stay on the 25-man or we lose him. I really do not want to see Gonzo in AAA but that is the most logical place for him barring a move. Trading Matusz, Hunter, or Norris would solve the problem.

If both Gonzo and Ubaldo make the team, either in the bullpen or in the rotation, then you need to bump at least one of Britton, O'Day, Wright, Garcia, Matusz, Hunter, or Brach. (And that is assuming that Webb is gone). They are all out of options, except Garcia who needs to stay on the 25-man or we lose him. I really do not want to see Gonzo in AAA but that is the most logical place for him barring a move. Trading Matusz, Hunter, or Norris would solve the problem.

Or an injury to anyone.

There is no general MLB scuttlebutt. You make that up as well as anyone.
There's no MLB scuttlebut? No media types sharing information with each other? They never talk to managers and GMs and informally pass this information around? You mean that all of these media and baseball folks do and say things in absolutely secrecy?

There's no MLB scuttlebut? No media types sharing information with each other? They never talk to managers and GMs and informally pass this information around? You mean that all of these media and baseball folks do and say things in absolutely secrecy?

Right. They don't know more than you do about the subject you are mentioning. They are broadcasters. Not investigative reporters. Now. Roch might know something. Or Dan Connolly, Or Rich Dubroff. Or Peter Schuck. But not the Minnesotans. They read their news where you do.

There is no one who secretly knows the order of the Orioles competition and has passed it on to them. That it why I say there is no Scuttlebutt. Ask Tony-OH his opinion. It would be more informed.

Archived