The O's Most Difficult Cut(s) this Spring?

wildcard

If both Gonzo and Ubaldo make the team, either in the bullpen or in the rotation, then you need to bump at least one of Britton, O'Day, Wright, Garcia, Matusz, Hunter, or Brach. (And that is assuming that Webb is gone). They are all out of options, except Garcia who needs to stay on the 25-man or we lose him. I really do not want to see Gonzo in AAA but that is the most logical place for him barring a move. Trading Matusz, Hunter, or Norris would solve the problem.
Or else carry an extra guy in the pen and bump one of the position guys. You cannot keep an effective starting pitcher in the pen or in AAA and keep sending an ineffective SP out to get shellacked and have the O's lose at least one out of every 5 games. The money paid out to Ubaldo is unimportant at this time; it's water over the dam. We got our guy, we can't trade him, no one else wants him. So the pitching coaches need to do what they can to make him better. If that means more time in the pen, then so be it.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Or else carry an extra guy in the pen and bump one of the position guys. You cannot keep an effective starting pitcher in the pen or in AAA and keep sending an ineffective SP out to get shellacked and have the O's lose at least one out of every 5 games. The money paid out to Ubaldo is unimportant at this time; it's water over the dam. We got our guy, we can't trade him, no one else wants him. So the pitching coaches need to do what they can to make him better. If that means more time in the pen, then so be it.

I respect your opinion on how it should work. Ubaldo will do fine. He won't lose all his starts. Time in the pen won't help him. You take your good with your bad on this trip.

It may get to that point, however, I find the characterization of Ubaldo as an automatic loss at this point to be premature.

No gossip at all? I don't believe it.

My guess is most of them get talking points provided to them from the opposing team.

I am sure some of them are baseball fans and follow the sport as fans.

I am also sure that every now and then someone tells them something.

I don't think very many of those things end up in spring training broadcasts.

My guess is most of them get talking points provided to them from the opposing team.

I am sure some of them are baseball fans and follow the sport as fans.

I am also sure that every now and then someone tells them something.

I don't think very many of those things end up in spring training broadcasts.

I'd guess something similar. The way the reporters climb over each other to make even innocuous scoops I can't imagine that much relevant information lies fallow.

It may get to that point, however, I find the characterization of Ubaldo as an automatic loss at this point to be premature.
Actually, I completely agree with you. It's not like Ubaldo is some sort of lazy slug who wants to collect his $40 million. He wants to get better -- I believed him when he said this at Fanfest during the pitcher's forum. He will put in the work to try and get better. When I discussed putting him in the pen, this would be a temporary solution while the coaches continue to work with him.

And actually, being the 5th starter would help him best. But then what do you do with Gausman or Gonzo? Putting either of these guys in the pen or sending them down to AAA isn't going to help either one of them. Neither of them need this type of help or coaching at this time.

It's a dilemma. :confused:

Actually, I completely agree with you. It's not like Ubaldo is some sort of lazy slug who wants to collect his $40 million. He wants to get better -- I believed him when he said this at Fanfest during the pitcher's forum. He will put in the work to try and get better. When I discussed putting him in the pen, this would be a temporary solution while the coaches continue to work with him.

And actually, being the 5th starter would help him best. But then what do you do with Gausman or Gonzo? Putting either of these guys in the pen or sending them down to AAA isn't going to help either one of them. Neither of them need this type of help or coaching at this time.

It's a dilemma. :confused:

I am with you 100% I guess for a brief period, you use one of their options. Or just wait until someone is sore.

How does every thread seem to get sidetracked to Ubaldo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we did not have Ubaldo, we would have 39 million to spend. And Gonzalez could be the starter that he deserves to be because he is a great guy and a miracle story. So then would not only would have all that money, but we could keep another great story guy! And walks kill. Because Rick Dempsey says so!

How does every thread seem to get sidetracked to Ubaldo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because he's the most controversial guy on the team. At least people here at the Hangout are fans who want to root for his success.

I am on Facebook, and the number of vitriolic posts that is posted to him or about him has to be seen to be believed. On Facebook, there is a custom of wishing prominent athletes a Happy Birthday on their day. Most of the times, with most Oriole players, fans posts are full of Birthday cheer. When it was Ubaldo's birthday, this event provided yet another excuse for pages and pages of insults directed at him, all from Oriole fans. I don't know whether or how much Oriole players read Facebook. Some of them, including Ubaldo, have their own Facebook timelines.

Players have to have thick skins when it comes to insulting or booing fans. It comes with the territory of being a pro athlete. Some players are more controversial than others. Ubaldo was quoted as saying he has no control over what others think of him.

Archived