Who's the better pitcher Bundy or Eduardo Rodriguez?

webbrick2010

It's normal for pitchers who undergo TJS to come back 12 months after surgery, but they usually don't return to normal for another two months. Bundy came back last season after 12 months and had initial success at low A. He went to Frederick and struggled. Then, in his last appearance for the Keys before the lat injury and 14 months after surgery, he struck out 7 in 4-1/3 innings. He'll be fine, and he'll be in Baltimore before season's end.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And it is crying over spilled milk. We aren't getting ERod back. They should have complained about it when the trade was made. What is the point of comparing Bundy and ERod now?

None whatsoever unless the express purpose is to sling mud - primarily in the direction of Dan Duquette. Personally I'm about four months away from being concerned about Bundy. I don't buy anybody's suggestion, however oblique, that ERod's turnaround was predictable. The only thing Duquette is guilty of is paying retail and that judgement comes with the benefit of hindsight.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-fangraphs-top-200-prospect-list/

22. Dylan Bundy

23. Eduardo Rodriguez

There is plenty of point comparing the two. They are both viewed as pretty equal prospects in the eyes of the national media.

Perhaps. But the poster that started this thread does he can to shed a negative light on this organization. And presenting evidence besides ST stats would go a lot further to his credibility.

Hopefully this thread can be moved to the Minor League board, where it can die a slow death.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. Dylan Bundy

23. Eduardo Rodriguez

There is plenty of point comparing the two. They are both viewed as pretty equal prospects in the eyes of the national media.

At this stage, the national media has no basis to form an opinion about the post-TJ Dylan Bundy beyond the determination that the surgery wasn't a total disaster. Even after several months, if it turns out that ERod has reached or surpassed Bundy's upside, all that we as fans have done is executed a successful foray into masochism by focusing on that. So far nothing indicates that Bundy is destined to fail as a ML starter. Nothing. IMO trades should be judged in the context of the time they were made. With that in mind, as I said in my original post all DD is guilty of is paying retail.

I was hoping and expecting Bundy to be in that 93-96 area this spring. Sitting 91-93 is concerning, especially if it doesn't pick up by the end of ST. Part of Bundy's 22 ranking is based on the expectation that his stuff come back close to pre-surgery Bundy. Can he be a successful ML pitcher at 91-93? Sure, But we were hoping for a stud at 94-96 with a hammer curveball and solid change. He's walked 4 and given up 5 hits with only 2 strikeouts in 4.2 IP. The numbers say that something ain't right.

Is Gausman hitting his top velocity yet? How about Hunter? Why not wait until the end of spring training instead of being concerned about something that doesn't matter until the end of spring training?

Is Gausman hitting his top velocity yet? How about Hunter? Why not wait until the end of spring training instead of being concerned about something that doesn't matter until the end of spring training?

Neither of them are coming back after TJ surgery.

22. Dylan Bundy

23. Eduardo Rodriguez

I found the below quote from the fangraphs article kind of interesting. My impression from some of the posters on here was the Edrod was completely turned around after the trade by the Red Sox staff, but this seams to indicate something occurred pre-trade that peaked the Red Sox interest.

Rodriguez went from a solid lefty prospect that projected as a #4 type starter to a potential frontline guy a couple weeks BEFORE the trade when his velocity ticked up to sitting 93-96 mph, which also sharpened his slider.

Maybe not consistently but IIRC, Gausman had some 96's and 97's his first time out. I saw Hunter pitch and he was 94-96. Harvey touched 96. Reports from Bundy's first year in Delmarva had him at 96-98 in short appearances. That's a long way from 91-93. That's just what he was before they shut him down with a bad arm. So, we wait.

But his velocity was returning at the end of last year.

Maybe not consistently but IIRC, Gausman had some 96's and 97's his first time out. I saw Hunter pitch and he was 94-96. Harvey touched 96. Reports from Bundy's first year in Delmarva had him at 96-98 in short appearances. That's a long way from 91-93. That's just what he was before they shut him down with a bad arm. So, we wait.

Hunter is consistently 96-98 and touching 100 at his peak.

Archived