Wieters Shut Down For a Few Days (Elbow Tendonitis)

SticksandStones

What was he doing in rehab? Was he doing simulated games as a catcheror just soft toss? Yesterday he caught 6 innings and did nothing overly aggressive or above and beyond what a catcher does in the routine course of a short stint behind home plate. And now he?s hurt? I?m not surprised. I didn?t think he?d move right back into the primary catcher?s slot. And now, per Showalter, if he can?t fill the role as catcher on Opening Day he will not use him as DH but will rather put him on the DL.

That's what weams had said.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been touting Lavarnway. Never like Arencibia. And if you don't like bad defense at catcher, JP is not your man. Can't possibly imagine a Joseph/Clevenger platoon, but crazier things have happened.

From what I have seen (the eye test) I favor Lavarnaway also. He just looks better on the field and can't really put my finger on it why! It it moreso I guess by process of elimination as I recall Clevenger turning the bases into a turnstile last year and Arencibia has never impressed me in the least.

My point, we only have one previous everyday starting catcher to have gone through this, so a very SSS to base judgements on how MW will come back.

Some position players have made it back. Of those, some have had success offensively. I'll let you judge for yourself https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/tLSmo1d7UB24jJ11Kh3dtAg/htmlview?pli=1#

If he can catch and throw but not hit, he has some value. If he can't catch and throw, he doesn't have a spot.

I think Matt will be fine long term, but this is going to be a disappointing season. Just my opinion. Probably some DL and extended spring training, which is fine, but I'm not sure he'll totally hit his stride this season at the plate and on D. His arm is a huge part of what he brings to the table, and it'll take a while.

I'm a huge Weiters fan, and I hope we will re-sign him. Great attitude, smart, will help our young pitchers come along, but he's not going to get the big contract this off-season that some assume he will. MLB network didn't have him rated as top 10, and said he was between 15th and 20th best catcher in MLB. Unless he has a miraculous season, I don't see anyone giving him a long contract.

He's heading the way of Nick Markakis

We will have such reservations about him that we won't even make a QO

Someone will take the risk of signing him to multiple years and we won't even get a compensation pick

I feel there is a pretty good chance that the O's wouldn't have received a compensation pick if they had given Nick a QO.

I feel there is a pretty good chance that the O's wouldn't have received a compensation pick if they had given Nick a QO.
Seriously doubt it. Nick turned down 3 something to take 4/44 from ATL. I doubt he would have gone for 1/15.

Seriously doubt it. Nick turned down 3 something to take 4/44 from ATL. I doubt he would have gone for 1/15.

And the market changes with that offer on the table. Hence, he probably never sees the offer from Atl if they have to surrender a pick.

He's come back pretty quickly. I think this is fairly normal. Shut him down, get him worked out. These are the times you want to take it slow. Get him strong and ready for the season. If he starts on the DL, then that opens up an extra spot on the club while he's on the 15 day.

If this puts an end to the dream of Wieters being back opening day, that may not be a bad thing. Start him on a rehab stint at Norfolk for 2-4 weeks and make sure he's ready to catch 5 days a week. It's not like his bat has come back and we'll be missing it in the lineup. If Clevenger or Lavarnway backs up Joseph for a month, we'll bet by.

Look at it this way. If we're out of the running by the end of April, it won't be solely because Wieters isn't there.

And the market changes with that offer on the table. Hence, he probably never sees the offer from Atl if they have to surrender a pick.

The offer is only available before the negotiations start with other teams. If Nick had had an offer from the Orioles at that time for three years and 46 million dollars, he certainly would have turned down the QO and accepted the deal. That's the issue. You cant take the offer and then check out what someone will pay.

This whole scenario has to be a nightmare more so for Wieters than the O's.The O's managed pretty well without him last year. They certainly anticipated the long rehab possibility by adding a couple catchers with major league experience. They also knew Wieters would be gone after this year and drafted, what, 3 catchers in the first 4 rounds of the draft a couple of years ago. It also appears Matt's surgery may have had an impact on his hitting too, so no part of his game is up to ML level at the present time. My guess is that he goes on the 60 day DL at some point, he will not get a QO this fall and will need to sign a one year deal with someone (maybe even the O's)before going for a long term contract.

Archived