Beckham could be at #4 afterall

I'm not an insider or anything, but I emailed guys that cover the top three teams and the short version is all three could see pitchers being the first pick. It's possible that Matusz-Crow-Melville go 1-2-3 in some order.

Keep in mind that 1) these guys are giving opinions and don't work for the team and 2) Things could change in the next 3 months.

I just thought I'd throw this out there since so many seem to love Beckham.

If Alvarez is around at #4, you take him over Beckham.

I agree with you 100%. My hope is that Alvarez somehow falls, but I am not sure if that will happen. My preference is to get a college bat and have him come up soon after Weiters to give us (hopefully) a future RF, CF, C, and 3B with Rowell right there on the cusp. Here is one of the articles I was talking about with Alvarez/Pirates. Seems like they wont pass on him, but you never know.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/multimedia/s_553947.html

I'm not an insider or anything, but I emailed guys that cover the top three teams and the short version is all three could see pitchers being the first pick. It's possible that Matusz-Crow-Melville go 1-2-3 in some order.

Keep in mind that 1) these guys are giving opinions and don't work for the team and 2) Things could change in the next 3 months.

I just thought I'd throw this out there since so many seem to love Beckham.

I don't think all 3 pitchers will go 1-2-3. While all 3 are quality arms, with Aalvarez, Beckam, Smoak, and Hosemer there are some very good bats as well. Any way you look at it, were going to get a very highly regarded prospect.

If Alvarez is around at #4, you take him over Beckham.

The problem is we have no MI depth whatsoever, while the corners are pretty much covered with Rowell, Synder, Costanzo and Moore. All we have for MI is possibly Ryan Adams depending on his season this year. Beckham fills a huge need in the organization.

The problem is we have no MI depth whatsoever, while the corners are pretty much covered with Rowell, Synder, Costanzo and Moore. All we have for MI is possibly Ryan Adams depending on his season this year. Beckham fills a huge need in the organization.

I don't believe we should draft for need, we should draft the best player available. If that is Alvarez, it is Alvarez. We can make some trades from our hopefully surplus of pitching to fill other areas, but we shouldn't just pick Beckham over PA if it is just because of positional need.

I think Tyler Henson would disagree with you.

The pirates have a huge need for a 3B and have been trying to obtain one all offseason. Niel Walker is the only positive prospect they have for that position and I don't think he is that much of a sure thing. The Pirates take Alvarez IMO based on how walker does this season. Like the orioles they are at a total loss for position prospects. Unfortunately you cant look at previous drafts to see a trend. Littlefield had an almost inappropriate love for LHP, and would do everything he could to draft them. That won't be the case anymore.

I don't believe we should draft for need, we should draft the best player available. If that is Alvarez, it is Alvarez. We can make some trades from our hopefully surplus of pitching to fill other areas, but we shouldn't just pick Beckham over PA if it is just because of positional need.

Agreed. We need to take the best value available. Alvarez is the premier college bat of this draft. He has plus power and should hit for average. He may not stick at 3B though, and speed and arm are average. Beckham plays outstanding defense at SS, great arm, great speed and quickness, plus power and should hit for average. Atleast these are the opinions I have gathered on these two.

Which appears to be more valuable? I would say Beckham has a slight edge, although he's more of a risk than Alvarez. SS is a premium position, and there are few SS prospects out there with Beckham's capabilities and projections. He projects to stay at SS and that is very rare for a bat like his. I think I just talked myself into taking Beckham over Alvarez despite my previous stance that stated Alvarez is the best prospect in the draft. Ah well, the draft is a fluid thing. :D

That said, I don't care what anybody else says, Tampa Bay will most likely take the best hitter in the draft. Right now there is not a pitcher that is blowing people away, not a dominant guy right now. Melville maybe, if you believe the Porcello comps. Without that, TB will pick from Alvarez, Beckham, Smoak and Hosmer. They like high school toolsy guys, therefore I sadly think they'll take Beckham. Their system is stacked so they can afford to take the risk on Beckham. TB's player development/scouting dept. are no fools.

I know its not just you, but I have Zero faith that Costanzo or Moore will be m.l. regulars. Beckham should be the pick if he's there and has a goood year. I think Ryan Adams has only proved that he should not have been a 2nd rounder.

Archived