The O's will lead all of baseball in home runs this year

wildcard

They were very, very, lucky.

They were lucky but their pitching and their stadium was a bad matchup for the Orioles. That's where the ability to manufacture runs and have good at bats comes into play and the Orioles don't do either very well.

Let me put it like this, in a big moment who would you rather come to the plate, Markakis or Adam Jones? Jones clearly has more upside but pitchers don't need to throw strikes to get him out. Markakis is the opposite - not as much upside but everyone knew that he would have a good at bat. Unfortunately Markakis is gone which hurts b/c he was one of the only guys on the team who consistently had good at bats. I'm happy that the Orioles didn't overpay with Markakis but replacing him with Travis Snider/a platoon is a disappointment.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They were lucky but their pitching and their stadium was a bad matchup for the Orioles. That's where the ability to manufacture runs and have good at bats comes into play and the Orioles don't do either very well.

Let me put it like this, in a big moment who would you rather come to the plate, Markakis or Adam Jones? Jones clearly has more upside but pitchers don't need to throw strikes to get him out. Markakis is the opposite - not as much upside but everyone knew that he would have a good at bat. Unfortunately Markakis is gone which hurts b/c he was one of the only guys on the team who consistently had good at bats. I'm happy that the Orioles didn't overpay with Markakis but replacing him with Travis Snider/a platoon is a disappointment.

No, it was just luck. They were hot as a pistol for three weeks. As, Angels, Os. Luck. Only.

And I would much rather have the better player, Adam Jones, at the plate. Especially if we are down by two, with two aboard.

o

We're on pace to hit 486.

But Red Sox on pace for 810.

I think that we have time to make up the difference.

A few hundred home runs here, a few hundred home runs there, and suddenly you're right back in the thick of the race.

I am getting my Opening Day projection ready and here is one of the outcomes of the analysis.

People says how are you going to make up for the loss of Cruz and Markakis homers. I think the O's are built to hit homers. Here is what I see:

Davis 37

Jones 31

Pearce 24

Manny 20

Hardy 18

Schoop 18

Wieters 17 (playing 63% of the games)

De Aza 12

Young 10

Alvarez 10

Joseph 9

Paredes 6

Snider 4

Reimold 4

Flaherty 2

Cabrera 1

Total 223

More to come over the next few days..........

Flash is already halfway there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

o

It's still very early, but still, this is mildly encouraging ......

The Orioles lead the major league is home runs, with 15.

https://twitter.com/masnRoch/status/589102579277242369

It may be early, but I think being #1 right now is far more encouraging than being #30. Put another way, just because it is early and may not tell you too much does not mean that being #1 currently can be construed as a negative.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived