Sun-Times says O's want Cedeno, Gallagher, and 2 more prospects

Bigbie03

Cedeno is not good. I wouldn't take any trade for Brian Roberts that started with Gallagher and Cedeno.

Hendry read your post and pulled the offer of Gallagher, Cedeno, Pie, Ceda, and Colvin. Be careful what you write because you never know who's reading it.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FWIW, MiLB.com has a new article up on the Cubs' farm system.

Some interesting writeups on many of the names being mentioned around here lately (Colvin, Ceda, Veal, Patterson, and others).

I hate to keep saying it, but this is the guy we should be shooting for.

From this article:

Tony Thomas, 2B

Thomas exploded on the draft radar in 2007 when he hit .430 with Florida State with a .948 OPS. He stole 31 bases and led the NCAA in runs, doubles and total bases. He kept on hitting during his pro debut, finishing sixth in the Northwest League with a .308 average. His .948 OPS was second-best in the circuit, as were his 28 steals (in 30 attempts).

You wouldn't know it by the numbers, but Thomas isn't a plus runner. He does have, though, a tremendous first step and terrific knowledge of how to steal bases. He makes solid contact with really good strike-zone control. He's strictly a second baseman and it will be his bat that gets him to the big leagues. That bat could land him in Daytona to start the year.

From this article:

Tony Thomas, 2B

Thomas exploded on the draft radar in 2007

You can keep saying it, but the fact is that Thomas has not been with the Cubs for a full year and therefore can't be traded under MLB rules.

From this article:

Tony Thomas, 2B

Thomas exploded on the draft radar in 2007 when he hit .430 with Florida State with a .948 OPS. He stole 31 bases and led the NCAA in runs, doubles and total bases. He kept on hitting during his pro debut, finishing sixth in the Northwest League with a .308 average. His .948 OPS was second-best in the circuit, as were his 28 steals (in 30 attempts).

You wouldn't know it by the numbers, but Thomas isn't a plus runner. He does have, though, a tremendous first step and terrific knowledge of how to steal bases. He makes solid contact with really good strike-zone control. He's strictly a second baseman and it will be his bat that gets him to the big leagues. That bat could land him in Daytona to start the year.

He can't be traded for a while.

He can't be traded for a while.

I should have said this, but I meant as a PTBNL. I have always thought the deal should be Gallagher, Cedeno, and 2 young high upside guys. One could be a PTBNL and Thomas would be my choice. I think he will be a good player.

Hendry read your post and pulled the offer of Gallagher, Cedeno, Pie, Ceda, and Colvin. Be careful what you write because you never know who's reading it.

MacPhail just looked at this board and wondered why so many Cubs fans were spending so much time following the Orioles...

I should have said this, but I meant as a PTBNL. I have always thought the deal should be Gallagher, Cedeno, and 2 young high upside guys. One could be a PTBNL and Thomas would be my choice. I think he will be a good player.

If that write-up is correct, it's likely that the Cubs view Thomas as their 2b of the future and Roberts as a great interim guy for the next 2 years. I doubt they'd want to include him even if the PTBNL issues weren't in play.

If he were an O, he'd instantly become our #2 position prospect behind Weiters but above the oft-injured Reimold and yet to produce Rowell.

And why are we so worried about defense this year anyway? We aren't winning a thing, so Patterson is the exact kind of player we should be looking for...

Both AM and DT have been 100% clear and consistent that Step 1 is building on pitching-and-defense.

This is an entirely credible approach, with a long and substantial history. It's not just some random idea.

So, either you think they're lying about it, or else you think they're wrong. Which is it?

I have wondered about this before. If it's against the rules to trade the guy, then how can you have a contractual agreement, in violation of those rules, that this guy would be the PTBNL? I must be missing something about that.

I have wondered about this before. If it's against the rules to trade the guy, then how can you have a contractual agreement, in violation of those rules, that this guy would be the PTBNL? I must be missing something about that.

Technically you can't have a contractual agreement to say so. It's essentially a loophole - you have 6 months to complete a PTBNL so it buys time while the guy you're after is conveniently sitting on the list of "choices" for when he's eligible. However, neither side would have very much motivation to do so and especially with the full 6 months to wait. Long story short, guys like Vitters, Donaldson and Thomas will not be agreed upon as any main piece of the trade.

Archived