• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is Cedeno really worth it?

SEASON TEAM G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG

2005 Chicago Cubs 41 80 13 24 3 0 1 6 30 5 11 1 0 .356 .375 .300

2006 Chicago Cubs 151 534 51 131 18 7 6 41 181 17 109 8 8 .271 .339 .245

2007 Chicago Cubs 38 74 6 15 2 0 4 13 29 3 18 2 1 .231 .392 .203

I just don't see a point in getting a low level backup SS that Cubs seemed to have given up upon.

Is Cedeno really worth it?

SEASON TEAM G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG

2005 Chicago Cubs 41 80 13 24 3 0 1 6 30 5 11 1 0 .356 .375 .300

2006 Chicago Cubs 151 534 51 131 18 7 6 41 181 17 109 8 8 .271 .339 .245

2007 Chicago Cubs 38 74 6 15 2 0 4 13 29 3 18 2 1 .231 .392 .203

I just don't see a point in getting a low level backup SS that Cubs seemed to have given up upon.

Look at his minor league numbers.

He's got the ability to hit well enough to be an average or better MLB SS, the question is if he can make the transition to the majors. He's failed in his previous attempt (didn't get much time in '05 or '07). Chicago doesn't have the luxury of being able to find out if he can hack it, we do. He's certainly worht the risk as the 3rd or 4th player coming back in the deal.

Three guys agreed to (according to bigbird who I trust on here) is good to hear.

I think I would like these trades if one goes down (in order):

Roberts and Payton for Gallagher(anyone else have to look up his name everytime you post it for spelling? :D ), Cedeno, Veal and Colvin

Roberts and Payton for Gallagher, Cedeno, Veal and PTBNL (Thomas)

Roberts and Payton for Gallagher, Cedeno, Veal and Patterson

I would take either of those deals. I think they would all be fair for both sides. If you guys could ONLY get one, which would you choose? Cedeno or Petterson?

I'd move the Thomas trade (though very unlikely, IMO) up to #1, a Colvin trade would be #2, insert Murton as the fourth piece as the #3 preference and Patterson as #4 preference. I have a bad feeling he's just like his brother (which mean's he'll only be a filler at 2b until we get our real 2b of the future).

Now, if Ceda were available, he'd change everything.

Hendry is going to trade Patterson either in the Roberts deal or to get a outfielder the hits right handed and plays all 3 positions.The White Sox are said to be looking at Patterson and there are offering Brian Anderson.That is per Bruce Levine of Espn 1000 chicago.I believe if Am wants E Pat Hendry would trade him in the Roberts deal.The Cubs are really excited about Thomas as there future 2nd baseman in 2 to 3 years.

Brian Anderson would be an interesting guy to acquire for that flex OF spot. A change of scenery would probably be good for him.

I say the Cubs should do that, and drop this Roberts pursuit altogether. He'd be a great guy to add to the lineup, but not at these prices.

I'd agree if I thought Patterson was at least an average defender at 2B. BUT, I don't think he is.

Hopefully that's what the O's scouts will be trying to determine in the next week or so. If they feel like he is adequate defensively, I think we should definitely be asking for Patterson back.

I'd agree if I thought Patterson was at least an average defender at 2B. BUT, I don't think he is.
I think he'll be below average defensively, but still good enough to stick there. We certainly are in a position to be able to find out though. This is the perfect season to find out things like that.

About half the league is below average defensively. Its not the worst thing in the world.

I certainly think his bat will play, we'll find somewhere to put him.

I do like the Todd Walker comparison.

IMO, Murton only makes sense if Payton is going to the Cubs.

Why?

Murton is a much better player than Payton. I don't get why we wouldn't be interested in a player like Murton to be in a package of likely 4 players for Roberts. He is about as safe a bet to put up good numbers as Roberts, and is under our control for 4 more years until he is a FA.

He would be a much better investement than Veal, Patterson, etc.

Why?

Murton is a much better player than Payton. I don't get why we wouldn't be interested in a player like Murton to be in a package of likely 4 players for Roberts. He is about as safe a bet to put up good numbers as Roberts, and is under our control for 4 more years until he is a FA.

Because we don't need a player like Murton. We already have a stockpile of LF/1B/DH type players and he just adds to it. He has been declining and at his best is a part-time player.

Because we don't need a player like Murton. We already have a stockpile of LF/1B/DH type players and he just adds to it. He has been declining and at his best is a part-time player.

Murton has only been declining because he hasn't been getting consistant playing time. It's hard to stay sharp when you are collecting splinters. He'd easily out OPS Millar this season and most likely Huff as well if he was the full time DH IMO...

Why?

We already have Jones, Markakis, Scott, Payton, Redman, Roberson, and Reimold (in the wings) for the outfield. If we trade Payton to the Cubs, I'll be "okay" with getting Murton back. However, if we add Murton to the names listed above, we'll have a cluster**** in the outfield.

Archived