Grant Balfour DFAed by Tampa (Orioles Took a Beating)

Crazysilver03

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was on my tablet which makes me very brusque in my posts. My intent was not to be argumentative but merely to reinforce the idea that he was damaged goods.

His velocity was down at the end of the 2013 season if I recall correctly.

He probably was. Like I said, my point wasn't that he isn't hurt. Just that maybe he hasn't been that good. Injury is a very possible cause.

Minor league contract ??? [emoji12]

I suspect that the only thing that that would do is rub salt into Balfour's wounds.

He isn't pitching well, he isn't showing any signs (as far as I know) that he is about to turn it around, and a minor-league offer to him at this point would essentially be offering him to come grovelling back to us after the December of 2013 blowout that Balfour had with the Orioles.

I don't think that Duquette and Angelos are that vindictive.

In case you missed it, the Rays designated reliever Grant Balfour for assignment on Saturday. I'm waiting for someone - a member of the media or perhaps a team doctor from outside the organization who had no business commenting on the Orioles' physical - to credit the club for getting out of that agreement after reviewing Balfour's MRI.

The Orioles took a two-fisted beating after backing out of their agreement. Well...

To be fair, the Orioles were willing to adjust their original offer and give Balfour one year instead of two, and he went 2-6 with a 4.91 ERA for the Rays last season and lost the closer's job. He registered a 6.23 ERA in six games this season, and the Rays decided to swallow the $7 million remaining on his contract.

Roch Kubatko

• 2 weeks later...

o

Michael Kay (YES) stated that Balfour was release by the Rays today.

After Balfour was DFA'd, 10 days passed, and not one of the other 29 major league teams wanted him.

And the Rays don't want him playing for their AAA-Durham Bulls, either.

In doing so, the D-Rays have eaten $7 Million.

Rays Release Grant Balfour, Eat $7 Million

(Michael Gleeman)

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/29/rays-release-grant-balfour-eat-7-million/

o

After Balfour was DFA'd, 10 days passed, and not one of the other 29 major league teams wanted him.

(Michael Gleeman)

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/29/rays-release-grant-balfour-eat-7-million/

Sounds like it might just be more than just potential arm trouble...

o

o

(Michael Gleeman)

Sounds like it might just be more than just potential arm trouble...

I've heard of teams paying a lot of money to a player to play for another team.

I've heard of teams paying a lot of money for a player to NOT play for their team.

But I rarely hear of a team paying a lot of money for a player to not play for their AAA team. o:laughlol:

So we took a beating about it (what's new?). I doubt anyone in the national media is going to go out of their way to give us kudos... My question is this, next time we raise some doubts over physicals etc. will we be given some benefit of the doubt?

Archived