Alejandro De Aza's Departure Puts Orioles Outfielders On Notice

PressBoxOnline

Paul Folkemer says the decision to designate Alejandro De Aza for assignment was no ordinary move -- it was a warning to struggling outfielders. http://www.pressboxonline.com/2015/05/28/alejandro-de-azas-departure-puts-struggling-orioles-outfielders-on-notice

DD says there are a couple of teams still interested in De Aza, at least according to Roch.

It doesn't mention Parmalee whom Duquette brought up as a possibility at both COF spots, iirc. I don't know who goes in order to make room for him (maybe Cabrera once Hardy proves healthy), but he hasn't been able to hit at the ML level either in the past.

That is not how I see it. I see it as wanting some stability to give the current group enough ABs to get in a groove. To me it is a vote of confidence for Snider and Pearce.

I think its a bigger vote of confidence for Jimmy Paredes. If Paredes hadn't burst onto the scene, I think De Aza would still be playing left field, with Pearce at RF and Snider/Delmon at DH.

It doesn't mention Parmalee whom Duquette brought up as a possibility at both COF spots, iirc. I don't know who goes in order to make room for him (maybe Cabrera once Hardy proves healthy), but he hasn't been able to hit at the ML level either in the past.

I thought Parmalee was a 3rd baseman?

Very odd move, IMO. DD was trying to get De Aza to commit to a 2 year deal prior to going to the arbitration hearing. It was quite a surprise for me anyway. But it was definitely a message sent.

Very good article Paul. It's ashamed that Alvarez is off to such a slow start. I would have really like to see him take a hold of this opportunity but he's really off to slow start this year.

He looked good yesterday and today. I think you will see his bat heat up here soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived