2015 1st Round (25) - D.J. Stewart - OF - Florida State

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought the O's were all about pitching & defense.

So they use their #1 pick (25th best amateur player?) on a short, slow, weak armed outfielder.

He is 230 lbs at 21... so let's project him to be 240-245 in a couple of years when/if he makes it to the majors.

How about a list of ML outfielders who are 6' or under and 230 lbs or over?

Just can't see using a #1 pick on a DH

Yeah, he sounds like a good athlete, but barely average speed, and not a strong arm. If he can hit like Tony Gwynn, then he'll be worth the pick.

He needs Gwynn's bat to be worth the 25th pick in a weak draft class?

Your expectations might be a tad high.

I like the pick. Pretty underwhelming draft class.

You know me I'm not all about OBP. He's ok. Won't miss bad with this guy at 25. No need worry about Left Field in 2017 now. Oh right. Of course, no shiny free agent for there either. Like Boston did with Hanley.

I sure hope he isn't the position player version of Hobgood and just another sign unity pick!

Hobgood was five in the nation. Blown pick. This guy is possibly the top college bat. I don't love him, but number 25 picks are not loveable. Maybe we should just go back to losing bad again so we can pick top five.

I still like OBP I have just soured on taking pitches for the sake of running up pitch counts. I think he will have enough power to keep you happy.

It's like 35 homer power. I'll be ok with it.

Hobgood was five in the nation. Blown pick. This guy is possibly the top college bat. I don't love him, but number 25 picks are not loveable. Maybe we should just go back to losing bad again so we can pick top five.

He's the guy we would have missed out on if we'd signed a free agent with a QO.

I thought the O's were all about pitching & defense.

So they use their #1 pick (25th best amateur player?) on a short, slow, weak armed outfielder.

He is 230 lbs at 21... so let's project him to be 240-245 in a couple of years when/if he makes it to the majors.

How about a list of ML outfielders who are 6' or under and 230 lbs or over?

Just can't see using a #1 pick on a DH

Depends how well you think he'll hit. Let's say potentially he's Kendrick Morales. I'd love to have that at Pick 25. There are no sure things at that pick.

Future me looks forward to reading about how we can't trade him for anything. Ever.

Just as I look forward to his first 3-for-18 slump and the rending of garments and people prostrating themselves on the ground, screaming "dear God, why didn't we trade him for a TOR starter when we had the chance?!" Kidding. A little.

Yeah, he sounds like a good athlete, but barely average speed, and not a strong arm. If he can hit like Tony Gwynn, then he'll be worth the pick.

An average #25 pick nets you, what, about 2 WAR over the six years he's under team control? In a good year Tony Gwynn called that "May". Oh, or did you mean Tony Gwynn Jr? Yes, he's better than but still in the neighborhood of what a #25 pick generally gets you.

Archived