2015 1st Round (25) - D.J. Stewart - OF - Florida State

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jeter wouldn't have signed.

There has been talk about how much he wanted to play for the Yankees.

But, he also had no desire to go to College, his father was blunt and the Yankee scout quoted him:

I was certain about his signability. His father, Charles, was very candid: 'We have our price. He wants to play professional baseball. If you meet our price, he is going to do that.' ''

Hal Newhouser one of the Astro guys, was sure Jeter would sign with them, if the money was right.

Every year the draft makes me remember prior drafts like when JTrea absolutely lost his mind when we didn't draft Justin Smoak in 2008 who was the "impact, MOO bat" we so desperately needed. So much time and energy wasted debating something that 95% of us have virtually no useful input when discussing. I don't have a clue who we should pick in what spots which is why I never, ever get involved in analyzing the pick. I like to read the thoughts of those who do know though.
Indeed.Nothing more instructive than the fabled 2005 draft. When we took Branden Snyder, Nolan Reimold, Brian Matusz and Jake Arrieta over Buster Posey, 50th round, 1496th overall.

There has been talk about how much he wanted to play for the Yankees.

But, he also had no desire to go to College, his father was blunt and the Yankee scout quoted him:

Hal Newhouser one of the Astro guys, was sure Jeter would sign with them, if the money was right.

I don't see the Oriole regime in those days as being willing to step up big enough to get it done.

Indeed.Nothing more instructive than the fabled 2005 draft. When we took Branden Snyder, Nolan Reimold, Brian Matusz and Jake Arrieta over Buster Posey, 50th round, 1496th overall.

Why waste a pick on a guy like Posey who was certain to go to college? It isn't like he was a gem uncovered in the 50th round, he was an All-American.

Why waste a pick on a guy like Posey who was certain to go to college? It isn't like he was a gem uncovered in the 50th round, he was an All-American.

Theoretically back then you could have signed almost anybody. Just keep throwing zeros at them until they sign.

I always expected the Yankees to go nuts one year and drop 30 million on a draft class.

Theoretically back then you could have signed almost anybody. Just keep throwing zeros at them until they sign.

I always expected the Yankees to go nuts one year and drop 30 million on a draft class.

Now it appears to be the Dodgers with the unlimited pocket book.

Count me among those that think it would have cost more for a team not named the Yankees.

Signing bonuses of 800-975K in 1992 was pretty darn good money, and especially for a kid right out of high school.

But there is a slotting system in place that will keep them in line.

Back then there was nothing stopping a team from spending whatever they wanted.

Very true.

I don't agree this is "about as good a pick as you'll get", but he is a hitter and may have come off the board in the first 40 picks. So if Baltimore really liked him they did well to pick him a little early.

I may have overstated the case, since everything I know about him comes from reading threads the last 12 hours. But it seems he was a reasonable pick for 25, no? I believe that people are too apt to label someone a reach when they've seen BA or someone list a guy at 38 in a mock draft, then the O's pick him at 25. All these guys have pretty large uncertainties attached to them.

But there is a slotting system in place that will keep them in line.

Back then there was nothing stopping a team from spending whatever they wanted.

Thank god there is.

Knowing the Dodgers vast resources and how Friedman operates, they would be buying boatloads upon boatloads of young talent given the chance.

Seems like the Orioles wanted him and thought they might not get him. Who knows?

Per the Sun:

Orioles scouting director Gary Rajsich stood by waiting for a media teleconference with new first-round pick DJ Stewart to begin, Rajsich told Stewart he was concerned the Florida State outfielder wouldn't fall to the Orioles at No. 25.

We're thrilled, man. It got a little hairy there for us, Rajsich told Stewart. We didn't know if we were going to get you or not. You were the one we wanted all the way and Im glad you got there.

Later, Rajsich explained to reporters that the way picks were coming off the board, he was concerned that Stewart, who hit 15 homers and had a .500 on-base percentage in 64 games for the Seminoles in 2015, would be snagged by another club.

One hurdle is that Stewart is advised by Scott Boras, a tough negotiator. But Rajsich said the Orioles weren't scared off by any potential unsignability. The projected slot bonus for the 25th pick is $2,064,500.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-rajsich-a-little-hairy-waiting-for-dj-stewart-to-fall-to-25-20150608-story.html?track=rss&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Will Rajsich negotiate Stewart's contract or will that be handled by DD? Either way, Rajsich doesn't make the Oriole's task any easier with some of the above comments.

Archived