2015 1st Round (25) - D.J. Stewart - OF - Florida State

I think he's a reasonable pick for sure. I also agree people get way too wrapped up in rankings. But, to me, it's an overdraft based on the other talents on the board. I tend to like players that will give you value in multiple facets of the game when it comes to big draft spending, unless we are talking about an impact tool (like Shaw's power).

Agreed. Of all of the people here defending this pick at #25, how many have not even seen him play on tv, much less in person? I've seen him twice in person, and a bunch on tv. Not impressive on the defensive end, average at best for a LF arm and routes need some work. Will never win a gold glove, but I suppose he will be better than Jimmy Paredes. He is not a slow guy, but watching him run is not pleasing to the eye. He is not a fluid pleasure to watch in any phase of the game, but he is an on-base machine with some power...with perhaps more power to come. He will have to stay on top of his body, and I wonder what his athleticism will be in five years.

I like that he is a "winner." Tough guy, leader, intangibles....he finds a way to win. I guess I will back off, a little, from my initial scathing comments from last night. But there was several guys (Nikorak, McKenzie, Hayes) I personally would rather have had in the longer term if I am really taking the best available talent. This pick seems like a short-term lower ceiling quicker fix...really not what they have said they were commited to. But then, I am just a fan.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Going thru past drafts on Baseball-Reference.com is a fascinating way to waste a few hours thinking of what might have been. For some reason I always think about how mad Twins fans were when they passed on Mark Prior. Mauer turned out to be a pretty good pick.

I guess that Stewart is worth a shot. He doesn't strike out a lot. That's a big plus. 6'0" and 230 lbs. is the only thing that worries me.

RHP Jonathan Hughes sounds like a decent pick. I don't know if the slot cap ($900,000) will allow us to sign him.

I'm 6ft, 230lbs. I can see where it would worry some people, but it certainly has never stopped me. I'm a solid guy, but I've always been athletic, and a 32 I can still run circles around folks that are younger than me. I appreciate the fact that Rajsich made it a point to say that they were looking for athletic guys. Size isn't everything. I'm excited to see him. Hopefully he makes it to Salisbury this year and I can get on the field with him and talk to him.

I've seen TONS of Stewart over the years and I love this pick. I think he's got more power than most are projecting -- the ball absolutely flies off his bat. I also don't mind the crouch: it keeps his bat path short and helps him let the ball travel. Ideally, you're looking at a "set it and forget it" left fielder; a guy who you can plug in there every day and will give you something like .280/.400/.450 with about 20 HRs. Intangibles are top-flight and he should be a good enough LF. Maybe he's not Kyle Schwarber, but Kyle Schwarbers aren't available at #25.

Every year the draft makes me remember prior drafts like when JTrea absolutely lost his mind when we didn't draft Justin Smoak in 2008 who was the "impact, MOO bat" we so desperately needed. So much time and energy wasted debating something that 95% of us have virtually no useful input when discussing. I don't have a clue who we should pick in what spots which is why I never, ever get involved in analyzing the pick. I like to read the thoughts of those who do know though.

I usually end up reminding folks of the draft around 2001 where we ended up with five or six of Baseball America's Top 100 and only really had Jim Johnson do anything as a pro. I have heard Jim Callis say that after the first 10-20 names, there is wide divergence after that.

IMO, you either trust your scouting department or you don't. I think this group has taken enough guys who appear much better than their draft position (Harvey, Cisco) to give them the benefit of the doubt when they diverge from the media rankings.

I'm 6ft, 230lbs. I can see where it would worry some people, but it certainly has never stopped me. I'm a solid guy, but I've always been athletic, and a 32 I can still run circles around folks that are younger than me. I appreciate the fact that Rajsich made it a point to say that they were looking for athletic guys. Size isn't everything. I'm excited to see him. Hopefully he makes it to Salisbury this year and I can get on the field with him and talk to him.

I'd be pretty disappointed if Stewart didn't make it at least as far as Salisbury this summer, though Rajsich said they'd start him at Aberdeen.

I've seen TONS of Stewart over the years and I love this pick. I think he's got more power than most are projecting -- the ball absolutely flies off his bat. I also don't mind the crouch: it keeps his bat path short and helps him let the ball travel. Ideally, you're looking at a "set it and forget it" left fielder; a guy who you can plug in there every day and will give you something like .280/.400/.450 with about 20 HRs. Intangibles are top-flight and he should be a good enough LF. Maybe he's not Kyle Schwarber, but Kyle Schwarbers aren't available at #25.

How does he compare to Markakis? As a prospect, Markakis had a similar profile (with the bat), much better arm and pitching as a fall back, right? Currently, it seems like Stewart's approach might be similar to Markakis but with more power, comparable (?) range and still inferior arm.

In other words, he seems like his potential is as Markakis in his peak seasons with the bat, but not as good of an arm. [it's hard for me to give Markakis credit for range over almost any human with legs.]

I can love the pick if he could sustain that type of peak for longer than Nick did.

He gives this franchise something that it just doesn't have and hasn't been able to produce, which is a patient approach and OBP. I'm not concerned with the lack of defense, maybe even he can take over 1B when Davis goes? I'm sure they have a plan for him.

I haven't been glued to the draft like many of you have but overall I'm pretty satisfied so far.

He gives this franchise something that it just doesn't have and hasn't been able to produce, which is a patient approach and OBP. I'm not concerned with the lack of defense, maybe even he can take over 1B when Davis goes? I'm sure they have a plan for him.

I haven't been glued to the draft like many of you have but overall I'm pretty satisfied so far.

We have played with Nate McLOuth in our outfield. His arm can not be worse.

We have played with Nate McLOuth in our outfield. His arm can not be worse.

What, Corey Patterson's wasn't good enough for you?

At least Nate brought some speed to the table. I'll sacrifice arm strength for a guy that can run down a deep fly and steal a base. Just seems like this guy can hit.

Is Billy Butler a fair comp?

What, Corey Patterson's wasn't good enough for you?

At least Nate brought some speed to the table. I'll sacrifice arm strength for a guy that can run down a deep fly and steal a base. Just seems like this guy can hit.

Is Billy Butler a fair comp?

No. He is real athletic. Runs great. Great instincts. Just not a hose and not the body type most like.

Just as I look forward to his first 3-for-18 slump and the rending of garments and people prostrating themselves on the ground, screaming "dear God, why didn't we trade him for a TOR starter when we had the chance?!" Kidding. A little.

He just went 3-for-18? I knew it. I KNEW it.

JD5rv.jpg

(just practicing...not that I need it)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">O's continue to negotiate with top pick DJ Stewart and there's been solid progress there too, but agreement not imminent. Will take longer.</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="

">June 16, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">O's continue to negotiate with top pick DJ Stewart and there's been solid progress there too, but agreement not imminent. Will take longer.</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="
">June 16, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Boros! Probably one of the reasons Stewart kept sliding. Let's hope this doesn't keep going on long because if Boros thinks Stewart is going to get any more money as a 22-year old with no leverage he's on drugs. Sign for slot and let's move on.

There should be no delay in this process unless Boros is being Boros.

Archived