Schmuck throws in the towel on D-Cab...

markdublya

As far as the Randy Johnson comparisons go, I agree, expecting him to be the next Johnson are silly but even if he improves slightly at 27 or 28 he would be a productive starter for us. At age 28 a light turned on for Johnson, all I'm hoping for is a little taste of that light for Cabrera.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Okay but how is that silly?

DCab keeps doing the same thing each year.

Its called a precedent.

If somehow the pattern was different this time, we could justifiably say he was working against precedent then we might have some reason to be hopeful.

He isn't.

Schmuck was right. DCab is not worth being hopeful about. Why don't more people see this?

Everyone who I talk to who is a fan of other teams constantly ask me "why is Cabrera still an Oriole?" I really don't have a good answer.

MSK

Do you get confused when people ask you why you are an Orioles fan? What do you tell them?

Simply put, DCab is still a project that they are hoping to turn into a productive starter and he's still cheap (It's not like he's costing us 10mil a season.) and young and still has good stuff. Consistency with command is his problem which the O's FO feel they can fix. If you feel that the O's FO don't know what they are doing then maybe you should be prepared to answer that question of why you are an Oriole fan because it's the O's FO that have decided to keep him around.

It always seems to come back on the writer around here.

A guy writes a less then positive article about the Orioles or Oriole and he's an idiot who is off based and doesn't know baseball.

A guy writes something positive and there's always something great posted about the writer and how smart he is.

Objectivity is an endangered species around here

Do you get confused when people ask you why you are an Orioles fan? What do you tell them?

Simply put, DCab is still a project that they are hoping to turn into a productive starter and he's still cheap (It's not like he's costing us 10mil a season.) and young and still has good stuff. Consistency with command is his problem which the O's FO feel they can fix. If you feel that the O's FO don't know what they are doing then maybe you should be prepared to answer that question of why you are an Oriole fan because it's the O's FO that have decided to keep him around.

So, there is no room for a "real fan" to have a difference of opinion with his team on personnel moves? :confused:

Objectivity is an endangered species around here

I'm not sure how objective he was being that his entire rant was over one ST start and DCab's attitude over that start, almost a JTrea-esque overreaction if you ask me.

So, there is no room for a "real fan" to have a difference of opinion with his team on personnel moves? :confused:

Sure he can but he said he doesn't know how to answer the question of why he's still on the Orioles and the answer to his question is quite easy; the O's FO feel that they can fix his consistency problem. The other point that you missed is why care what other people think? If you cared what fans of other teams think then why are you the fan of a perennial loser? :confused:

How many FO personnel have come and gone since DCab has been with the O's and NOT A SINGLE ONE HAS TRIED TO TRADE HIM! Now I'm sure that all of you and Shmuck could run a ball cub much better than these guys but they get paid to do it and have done it successfully. I'll trust numerous GM's, FO personnel and coaches that are trying to make DCab what they think he can be over a writer and chat board posters.

I'm not sure how objective he was being that his entire rant was over one ST start and DCab's attitude over that start, almost a JTrea-esque overreaction if you ask me.

Agree......IMO Schmuck was somehow offended by Cabrera's responses, or lack thereof, and then decided to blast Cabrera's performance in a misguided attempt to get even. Because Schmuck is a "columnist" and not a reporter, he can write just about anything he wants to. I honestly like Schmuck's columns, but I thought this obviously vindictive outburst was a little beneath him.

How many FO personnel have come and gone since DCab has been with the O's and NOT A SINGLE ONE HAS TRIED TO TRADE HIM! Now I'm sure that all of you and Shmuck could run a ball cub much better than these guys but they get paid to do it and have done it successfully.

I must take issue with this. Just because I'm not qualified to be GM of the O's, doen't mean I can't tell when it's being done well. I can't hit a 70 MPH fastball, much less a 90+ MPH one, but I could tell that Paul Bako was a below average offensive catcher.

I'm not qualified to direct a multi million dollar movie, but I can tell when one has been done poorly.

Sure he can but he said he doesn't know how to answer the question of why he's still on the Orioles and the answer to his question is quite easy; the O's FO feel that they can fix his consistency problem. The other point is why care what other people think? If you cared what other people think then why are you a fan of a perennial loser? :confused:

How many FO personnel have come and gone since DCab has been with the O's and NOT A SINGLE ONE HAS TRIED TO TRADE HIM! Now I'm sure that all of you and Shmuck could run a ball cub much better than these guys but they get paid to do it and have done it successfully.

Huh?

I guess you can say the same for Jay Gibbons and any other player that is still here.

Nevermind the obvious fact that you really have no way of knowing whether or not the FO has ever tried to trade him.

There is also the inconvenient fact that this discussion isn't about trading him anyway. I know I didnt suggest trading him. The point of Schmucks article is that after all these years he has come to the conclusion that DCab just won't get it.

Even Schmuck admits that the O's have no choice but to continue, at least for this year, to see what he can do. DCab has very little trade value now so it wouldnt make sense to sell low.

This is the same "battle" we had with Ponson. Slowly, but surely, fans started giving up on him. And some fans felt the need to attack those who were done with Ponson before they were, too.

History is repeating itself with Cabrera. Hopefully, the DCab supporters are right this time.

I must take issue with this. Just because I'm not qualified to be GM of the O's, doen't mean I can't tell when it's being done well. I can't hit a 70 MPH fastball, much less a 90+ MPH one, but I could tell that Paul Bako was a below average offensive catcher.

I'm not qualified to direct a multi million dollar movie, but I can tell when one has been done poorly.

That's your opinion, just because YOU didn't like the movie doesn't make it a bad movie. In the end, would you trust a multi million dollar movie budget in the hands of the experienced person, or the observer? Anyway, many movies deemed bombs at the box office went on to be cult classics.

That's your opinion, just because YOU didn't like the movie doesn't make it a bad movie. In the end, would you trust a multi million dollar movie budget in the hands of the experienced person, or the observer?

And YOU like the movie doesn't make it a good movie.

So, hire an experienced professional: Syd Thrift, anyone. :rolleyes:

"Experienced professionals" have always been running this club.

And YOU like the movie doesn't make it a good movie.

So, hire an experienced professional: Syd Thrift, anyone. :rolleyes:

"Experienced professionals" have always been running this club.

Oh, we're saying the DCab's still being around is a Thrift like move? I see

That's your opinion, just because YOU didn't like the movie doesn't make it a bad movie. In the end, would you trust a multi million dollar movie budget in the hands of the experienced person, or the observer? Anyway, many movies deemed bombs at the box office went on to be cult classics.

Just because it's a cult classic doesn't mean it was well directed.

I'm not suggesting we let a fan out ofthe stands run the O's front office, but I am suggesting that fans in the stands can often recognize when those in charge are doing a poor job.

(BTW, I'm not saying that the O's are making the wrong decisions with DCab now or in the past. Personally I think we need to see what he can do for a significant amount of time this season, and change his role if a better option presents it's self, provided DCab is pitching poorly.)

Oh, we're saying the DCab's still being around is a Thrift like move? I see

No, not at all.

And you know that.

Like I wrote in the last post, in case you missed it:

There is also the inconvenient fact that this discussion isn't about trading him anyway. I know I didnt suggest trading him. The point of Schmucks article is that after all these years he has come to the conclusion that DCab just won't get it.

Even Schmuck admits that the O's have no choice but to continue, at least for this year, to see what he can do. DCab has very little trade value now so it wouldnt make sense to sell low.

I stated just the opposite.

I could play the silly "twisted logic/put words in your mouth" game too. But, I won't because this thread will go downhill quickly if we both do that.

The point is that just because you agree with a move doesn't make it the right move. It might be, but we just don't know yet. "Experienced Professionals" aren't perfect.

(BTW, I'm not saying that the O's are making the wrong decisions with DCab now or in the past. Personally I think we need to see what he can do for a significant amount of time this season, and change his role if a better option presents it's self, provided DCab is pitching poorly.)

I agree with this but it's different then "throwing in the towel". When I hear "throw in the towel" that to me means trade for whatever or release because that player isn't worth your time, that means you give up. Giving up on DCab now, with this current team, is pointless. And the O's Fo are no doubt thinking the same thing and why wouldn't they?

Archived