A Perfect game?

kelsey59

OK, if a batter walks or is hit, but on the next play there is a double play, does that make it and perfect game? There are still only 27 batters. I am just wondering about this.

According to wikipedia.

As of 2014, the current Major League Baseball definition of a perfect game is largely a side effect of the decision made by the major leagues' Committee for Statistical Accuracy on September 4, 1991, to redefine a no-hitter as a game in which the pitcher or pitchers on one team throw a complete game of nine innings or more without surrendering a hit.]

That game is tied with Mike Mussina's near perfect game in 2000 for the best pitched games in Orioles history.

So who says so or made that determination? I would say they were the two most efficiently pitched games but a two or one hitter is never a "better" pitched game than a no hit shutout by one pitcher in my estimation.

So who says so or made that determination? I would say they were the two most efficiently pitched games but a two or one hitter is never a "better" pitched game than a no hit shutout by one pitcher in my estimation.

Jim Maloney once walked 10 batters in a no hitter. Is that better than a one hitter? Here's a list of high-walk no hitters: http://www.baseball-reference.com/play-index/share.cgi?id=ESrS. There have been 23 where the pitcher walked at least five hitters. I'd rather see one of those than a no-walk one hitter, just for the excitement of seeing a no hitter, but the one hitter would be the better pitched game IMO.

Mussina was nearly perfect in 1997 also. Sandy Alomar broke up perfection in the 9th.

As did Carl Everett 4 years later, when Mussina pitched for another team.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BOS/BOS200109020.shtml

David Cone was the Red Sox' proverbial Sal Maglie in that game, pitching 8.33 shutout innings himself before ceding an unearned run in the 9th inning.

As did Carl Everett 4 years later, when Mussina pitched for another team.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BOS/BOS200109020.shtml

David Cone was the Red Sox' proverbial Sal Maglie in that game, pitching 8.33 shutout innings himself before ceding an unearned run in the 9th inning.

In 1959, the Pirates' (and later, Orioles') Harvey Haddix was perfect for 12 innings before losing to the Milwaukee Braves in the 13th. During the game, the Braves bullpen stole the Pirates signs and started signalling batters what was coming, by waving a towel to signal breaking ball. Still, the winning run crossed the plate in the 13th due to an error, a sacrifice, and the only his Haddix gave up all day, a ball that cleared the fences but was scored a double because the batter stopped running after reaching second base.

I remember watching Haddix pitch for the O's as a reliever in the '60s. Always a treat.

Archived