Any news on Jomar Reyes?

cnmilton

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looking at Reyes stats this morning and he is actually 2 days younger than Ryan Mountcastle. Hopefully he finishes rehab soon and goes and finishes the season strong!

Both had big games yesterday. Great to see Reyes back. They have some big guys on that GCL team. I'm guessing they haven't added this many young power bats since the days of Baylor and Grich.

Both had big games yesterday. Great to see Reyes back. They have some big guys on that GCL team. I'm guessing they haven't added this many young power bats since the days of Baylor and Grich.

Great comp. I'm really happy checking the GCL box scores every night. Heinrich too. These guys are raking.

Reyes is back at Delmarva and has picked back up where he left off - his slash line is:

.282/.343/.441/.785

When Manny was 18 he split his season between Delmarva and Frederick and his slash line was:

.257/.335/.421/.756

Clearly Manny is the better player (defense) - but I am starting to get excited about Reyes. Start him at Frederick next year and he could be on the fast track.

Reyes is back at Delmarva and has picked back up where he left off - his slash line is:

.282/.343/.441/.785

When Manny was 18 he split his season between Delmarva and Frederick and his slash line was:

.257/.335/.421/.756

Clearly Manny is the better player (defense) - but I am starting to get excited about Reyes. Start him at Frederick next year and he could be on the fast track.

He really does just keep doin' it. I don't want to jinx anything, so I'm just going to stop there. Just keep doin' it.

• 4 weeks later...

.282/.343/.441/.785

.257/.335/.421/.756

An update...Jomar went 2-3 last night with his 5th home run. He is now slashing: .277/.332/.436/.769 and he has 36 extra base hits in 314 ABs. As a comparison Machado had 36 extra base hits his 18 year old season in 382 ABs.

I think the national media and many here are sleeping on Jomar Reyes prospect status.

An update...Jomar went 2-3 last night with his 5th home run. He is now slashing: .277/.332/.436/.769 and he has 36 extra base hits in 314 ABs. As a comparison Machado had 36 extra base hits his 18 year old season in 382 ABs.

I think the national media and many here are sleeping on Jomar Reyes prospect status.

Big Reyes fan but:

He is very young

He is far away

He doesn't have a defensive position

I do expect him to make some lists this year.

Big Reyes fan but:

He is very young

He is far away

He doesn't have a defensive position

I do expect him to make some lists this year.

Very young is an argument for him, not against him. He is far away, but his numbers are at least comparable to Machado's 18 year old season and Machado was in the majors at the end of his 19 year old season. Don't expect that with Reyes, but he could be a Frederick/Bowie guy next year and maybe reach the majors in his 21 year old season.

Defensive position is a tough one, but Sano is really contributing as a DH this year. I could see 1B or DH in the future for him.

Very young is an argument for him, not against him. He is far away, but his numbers are at least comparable to Machado's 18 year old season and Machado was in the majors at the end of his 19 year old season. Don't expect that with Reyes, but he could be a Frederick/Bowie guy next year and maybe reach the majors in his 21 year old season.

Defensive position is a tough one, but Sano is really contributing as a DH this year. I could see 1B or DH in the future for him.

I understand the value of age, just when it comes to grading prospects it can be tough if you are unsure of the final physical projection. Are we even sure Reyes is done growing? I was being serious earlier this year when I suggested they check his bone age.

And obviously if Reyes ends up at first or DH it significantly impacts his prospect status.

The scouts that I have chatted with all year all like Reyes chances of being an important major leaguer. He is indeed young, but he is powerful. Last night he was making good contact and the HR and double were hard hit.. but he can still miss a very sharp curve. He has started a couple of double plays lately, but at this time he is much better suited for 1B or OF. He is a definite top 5 prospect.

Archived