Orioles trade Davies for Parra. Your verdict?

PaulFolk

Do you like the Davies for Parra trade?  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Davies for Parra trade?

• I approve. A small price to pay to fix the O's OF hole with a quality veteran.
    • I disapprove. The O's gave up up a pitching prospect for a rental who won't move the needle.

This poll is closed to new votes

Manny has 21 homeruns and 17 solo shots. That's a waste.

Manny is comfortable leading off. He looked awful this week in the #3 hole. Wait until the off-season to move him out of the top of the order. Most of those 17 solo shots happened in an inning other than the 1st.

Parra OPS/month career:

Apr: .708

May: .762

Jun: .757

Jul: .766

Aug: .689

Sep : .730

His present .880 is not supported by his career numbers, and Aug/Sep have historically been his worst months.

I'll guess we get .700 -.725 for our 60 game rental

NONE of his .884 is supported by his monthly OPS - he is on a tear and hopefully that will help propel us to the playoffs - which is the 1st of a two part goal.

Somewhat true, but in theory the 7th, 8th, 9th batters won't be on as much as the 9th-2nd batters in general.

This isn't the National League. I'd rather have Manny get the extra ABs over the course of the year.

EDIT: I should clarify that. I'd rather have Manny get the extra ABs over the course of the year if there isn't a better option in the lead-off spot. He was the best option to lead-off the first 100 games of this season, but Parra is a better option now.

Edited by VeveJones007

And I am just saying that Parra is not the lock you claim him to be. He might very well be more of the same.

Dude.

Well, no rental player is a lock to carry you to the championship. I would have rather gotten Cespedes or Upton as a rental, but the demands of Detroit and San Diego were way too high, and it was clear that Davies wasn't going to get either of those players. All in all, Parra isn't all that bad at the cost, once the decision to go for it and get a rental was made.

IMO the big loser in this as of now is Detroit. With Cabrera out for another month or so, and being a few games out of the last playoff spot, they understandably decided to sell. They have already traded Price and their closer. By being ridiculous in what they asked for Cespedes, they look like they will lose out. They could have had Davies, but insisted on Gausman, which would never happen. Now, they look like they may well get nothing and Cespedes will walk at year-end with no comp pick.

My verdict: incomplete.

If they extend Parra or win the WS, it's a great trade. A 2 win outfielder that fits the team philosophy is much more valuable than a prospect of Davies' caliber, and the bust potential associated therewith, IMO.

If Parra walks, it's pretty terrible.

Many wanted Aoki this past offseason, but Dan ignored him. Isn't this the same guy, with a little better D?

I certainly understand that Dan was distracted while dominating the Rule V and Minor League free agency of course....

That and parra hasn't missed a month of the season and hasn't done a thing since he's been back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not getting any younger I want to see the O's in the playoffs. Snider et. al. isn't going to do it for me. Parra might. Who is Davies? The next CY? I doubt he's the next Ed Rod. We need someone who can get on base in front of Manny.

Are they going to extend him or just leave more gaping holes in the OF after this season?