Who was the first Oriole to play for the team who was younger than you?

TINSTAAPP

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Evidently, it's Drungo Hazewood for me, too. I didn't notice him in September 1980 and I'd never have heard of him since, were he not made legendary here by, well, Drungo Hazewood. Cal was the first one I was aware of that was younger than I.

No one's actually all that close to me. I'm 8 months older than Hazewood (RIP) and 11 months younger than John Shelby, unless I missed someone.

Apparently, Al Pardo a 22-year old switch-hitting backup Catcher for the '85 O's. The name sounds familiar but I can't say that I remember him.

Maybe you're thinking of Don Pardo the announcer for Price is Right, Jeopardy and a dozen other game shows dating back to the '50's. Very famous in broadcasting circles. Passed away recently.

Apparently, Al Pardo a 22-year old switch-hitting backup Catcher for the '85 O's. The name sounds familiar but I can't say that I remember him.

I remember Pardo because he was hitting about .130 yet they pinch-hit him in a crucial 2-out 9th inning situation against the Twins that year with a few better options still on the bench. I think you can guess what happened, considering that nobody remembers the guy. 3 pitches, 3 strikes.

Oh, and my own player-younger-than-me was Manny. Alright, Manny Alexander, but still Manny.

Archived