Will Mora Be This Season's OH Tejada?

Old#5fan

As we all know, Tejada was very much a subject of friction on this site last year because of his sloppy defense (to put it mildly). Now after watching Mora blunder yet again another play at third where he needs to charge the ball, (a play that 99% of all even average defensive ML third baseman make with ease) I have to wonder. I personally am getting tired of watching him blow those type plays. He does fine on hard hit balls, maybe even above average but he is pitiful at making those slow roller type plays. I recall watching Brooks Robinson scoop up those slow rollers with one hand and all in one motion firing to first. It was like he had a magnet in his hand and the ball was iron he was so reliable. Same with Decinces, and Cal when they played third. Even Ray Knight when he was here made that play with ease, but Mora makes me cringe on those type of plays.

I truly think this should be his last year at third. If his shoddy play continues Trembley/McPhail should consider taking action during the season. He (like Tejada) either needs to be traded or moved back to leftfield. I would move Moore to third and Scott to DH or first base. I know this may seem like I am jumping the gun but I watched Melvin have this problem most of last season as well. It certainly is not a new phenomenon with him.

On a positive note did anyone see LH out there diving for balls? That is something we have not seen from our shortstop since he was named Mike Bordick. A very welcome sight IMO.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mora is a decent 3B with declining skills. He's adequate defensively, and he can be solid - not great - with the bat. He's not a 2-hitter anymore, and the sooner DT realizes that the better. I don't think he's in the same boat as Tejada was last year. Miggy was an underachieving superstar seen as a team cancer and puppy abuser. Mora is just an aging player with declining skills.

Mora is a decent 3B with declining skills. He's adequate defensively, and he can be solid - not great - with the bat. He's not a 2-hitter anymore, and the sooner DT realizes that the better. I don't think he's in the same boat as Tejada was last year. Miggy was an underachieving superstar seen as a team cancer and puppy abuser. Mora is just an aging player with declining skills.

I simply don't see Mora as adequate defensively when he is so lousy at handling slowly hit balls that he has to charge. Kind of like Tejada, who was lousy at turning routine DPs last season. A major leaguer should not be lousy at anything defensively. There is no excuse for it. If you cannot make a routine play consistently you don't belong out there period. Sorry, but that is the truth. Scott Moore easily makes those plays that Mora bungles. Since the team is in full rebuild mode he should be out there.

If Mora continues to play as if he has no clue as to his surroundings, you'll see the town turn on him quickly. Especially with Moore on the roster. But if he remembers his fundamentals, and as FLK just said, maybe gets moved out of the 2 hole to a more fitting lineup spot, he could still contribute.

I'd still love to see him have a great first half that leads to a nice trade that he's willing to waive the NTC for.

I simply don't see Mora as adequate defensively when he is so lousy at handling slowly hit balls that he has to charge. Kind of like Tejada, who was lousy at turning routine DPs last season. A major leaguer should not be lousy at anything defensively. There is no excuse for it. If you cannot make a routine play consistently you don't belong out there period.

I think you're just trying to start trouble......:P

Also, given the weather conditions yesterday, I'm willing to give him a very brief respite on that charged ball botch. He continues to do that in normal conditions, then I'll start having a real problem with it. Just like I had a real problem with him getting an interference call. Trembley can be more pissed off about the ball/strike call portion of it, but I'm simply weary of Mora never seemingly knowing what his teammates are doing.

I simply don't see Mora as adequate defensively when he is so lousy at handling slowly hit balls that he has to charge. Kind of like Tejada, who was lousy at turning routine DPs last season. A major leaguer should not be lousy at anything defensively. There is no excuse for it. If you cannot make a routine play consistently you don't belong out there period. Sorry, but that is the truth. Scott Moore easily makes those plays that Mora bungles. Since the team is in full rebuild mode he should be out there.

I'd be the first to agree that Mora does not charge slow rollers well. However, his range to his right and left is very good, and overall he is an above average defensive 3B, or at least he was last year. I seriously doubt Moore would be better defensively.

It was the first game....give them a break, they went from 80 degree weather to a 40 degree rainy day. Let them thaw out before we make knee-jerk reactions.

Mora is a good clubhouse guy, and I would venture to say that he is our Latino version of Millar. He's a hard worker that likes to smile and have fun.

I'm just sayin all those that advocate Millar because of his clubhouse presence, should feel similarly about Mora.

It was the first game....give them a break, they went from 80 degree weather to a 40 degree rainy day. Let them thaw out before we make knee-jerk reactions.

Mora is a good clubhouse guy, and I would venture to say that he is our Latino version of Millar. He's a hard worker that likes to smile and have fun.

I'm just sayin all those that advocate Millar because of his clubhouse presence, should feel similarly about Mora.

He also has a history, albeit brief, of doing some really stupid things on the field. I was hoping that some of this was Tejada based, and not because after scrapping for years he finally got a pay day, but until I stop seeing stupid little mistakes that show a distinct lack of understanding of what's going on around him, I'm gonna be watching Melvin. And I'm not even talking about the slow roller. I'm giving him a respite on that considering the field and weather conditions.

If Mora continues to play as if he has no clue as to his surroundings, you'll see the town turn on him quickly. Especially with Moore on the roster. But if he remembers his fundamentals, and as FLK just said, maybe gets moved out of the 2 hole to a more fitting lineup spot, he could still contribute.

I'd still love to see him have a great first half that leads to a nice trade that he's willing to waive the NTC for.

So who do we put at 2 in your opinion? Its not like we have a lineup loaded with versatility. Mora is as solid a 2 hitter we have, he rarely ever gets doubled up, and he can go the other way to execute the hit and run. Its like saying Millar isn't a cleanup hitter...No duh, but who else do we have to put there? Mora has been great to our team and our city, he's the consummate veteran.

I'd just love to see Mora get moved so he can win, a la Conine or Bordick.

He's probably our best option right now, but that doesn't mean there aren't options and possibilities on the roster.

Heck, as an OBP machine, Millar might be better suited for it, but we really don't have a better clean up option, unfortunately.

He also has a history, albeit brief, of doing some really stupid things on the field. I was hoping that some of this was Tejada based, and not because after scrapping for years he finally got a pay day, but until I stop seeing stupid little mistakes that show a distinct lack of understanding of what's going on around him, I'm gonna be watching Melvin. And I'm not even talking about the slow roller. I'm giving him a respite on that considering the field and weather conditions.

Enlighten me to examples as I am void of any detailed recollection of such instances.

He's probably our best option right now, but that doesn't mean there aren't options and possibilities on the roster.

Heck, as an OBP machine, Millar might be better suited for it, but we really don't have a better clean up option, unfortunately.

Millar is also a double play machine that couldn't execute a hit and run to save his life... On the roster, there is nobody, who do you want batting second Bynum? Payton?....Mora will be fine this season, he like many latino guys, starts out slow in the cold, and warms up with the weather, be a little patient.

Archived