Os Sign O'Day for 4 Years - It's official

Nevermore

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think O'Day will be offered 3/26 in Free Agency. At least. So it depends if he just loves Baltimore that much.

Good point. How much does he want to stay in Baltimore? He and Buck apparently have a strong relationship. Don't forget he is the Oriole's representative on the MLBPA (that in itself earns respect not only from his teammates but from other players around the Majors--except maybe Joey Batts) and he is a respected voice in the clubhouse. I think a fair offer from the O's and he will choose to stay here.

Management 101: Never, ever, give big money to any bullpen guy that isn't your closer.

This goes out the window when your bullpen led all bullpens in innings pitched last year. We skimp on SP's so we have to keep our BP solid. This is just the new Oriole way. It's worked before. Keep the dude. He's our firestopper. I'd say his role is more valuable than Britton's. O'day always comes in to pitch in the most crucial part of the game. Britton gets clean innings without having to really ever get ready in a hurry. Pay that man his money. 3/24 and be done with it.

This goes out the window when your bullpen led all bullpens in innings pitched last year. We skimp on SP's so we have to keep our BP solid. This is just the new Oriole way. It's worked before. Keep the dude. He's our firestopper. I'd say his role is more valuable than Britton's. O'day always comes in to pitch in the most crucial part of the game. Britton gets clean innings without having to really ever get ready in a hurry. Pay that man his money. 3/24 and be done with it.

This is not "the new Oriole Way." This approach is the tail wagging the dog, however.

I don't blame O'Day for trying to get as much money as he can. He's earned it. I agree that he would take 3/21.

If we sign him to that deal, we should definitely consider moving him to the closer's role and moving Britton to the rotation.

Whenever I watch the Royals, I am reminded of how important the bullpen is. The Royals starters have not been good at all this postseason, but their bullpen has again been lights out and I think they're going to win it all.

Resources need to be devoted to the bullpen.

Whenever I watch the Royals, I am reminded of how important the bullpen is. The Royals starters have not been good at all this postseason, but their bullpen has again been lights out and I think they're going to win it all.

Resources need to be devoted to the bullpen.

That's relative. The Royals' entire bullpen costs less than Chris Davis or Jason Heyward. They do have two expensive relievers in Davis and Holland, but the rest of the pen, combined makes less than $5M.

Archived