Steve Phillips On Chris Davis Negotiations: 'The Process Was Painfully Ugly'

PressBoxOnline

This is a case where, since sports are a microcosm of society and baseball is a big economic entity, I think it's appropriate to talk the the politics of it. And you are absolutely right. There are more and more things happening in major revenue sports that indicate the average fan / cheaper ticket is largely irrelevant.

And so we have the Rams moving to LA, the Chargers probably moving to LA and the Raiders possibly moving to San Diego to replace the chargers. Imagine being a die-hard Chargers fan having the Raiders in your home town. It's depressing.

I think thats a bit drastic.

Afterall, its still only a game when grown adults are paid to play, and we pay to watch.

At the end of the day, life still goes on, people get the Big C or they suffer heat attacks shoveling 30 inches of snow.

Turn on the news, and you see another senseless loss of life, due to a firearm, now that is depressing.

You turn on the news, and ISIS are killing more innocent people, now that is depressing.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We talkin' about Steve Phillips? Is that what we're doing? Just checking.

We have a winner. Steve Phillips is the worst of the worst failed GM's who go on the air to second guess guys who are actually making decisions based on all the facts available at the time. Phillips and Jim Bowden are still chasing the fame.

I think thats a bit drastic.

Afterall, its still only a game when grown adults are paid to play, and we pay to watch.

At the end of the day, life still goes on, people get the Big C or they suffer heat attacks shoveling 30 inches of snow.

Turn on the news, and you see another senseless loss of life, due to a firearm, now that is depressing.

You turn on the news, and ISIS are killing more innocent people, now that is depressing.

I get depressed. :(:o

We have a winner. Steve Phillips is the worst of the worst failed GM's who go on the air to second guess guys who are actually making decisions based on all the facts available at the time. Phillips and Jim Bowden are still chasing the fame.

By definition, if your sitting in a studio, writing an article or otherwise stumping about the moves of other GM's, your likely a failed GM or never had the opportunity to be one.

Steve Phillips was not a good GM, would never argue otherwise. That said, I am guessing he has a much deeper and broader knowledge of the game and the goings on within it than you or I. That does not mean I buy his article that really is more of an opinion piece than one grounded in fact, it just simply means that I can buy that he may have some insight you or I would not

This is a case where, since sports are a microcosm of society and baseball is a big economic entity, I think it's appropriate to talk the the politics of it.

Then let's not talk about that microcosm. Really. No politics. Other places to go for that.

We can talk about Dan staying away from the FA pitching market but IMO his signing for FA Davis made Trumbo, Mancini and Walker trade bait. They might not be enough to get a decent pitcher right now, but that may change by Opening Day.

Dan knows he needs depth in the starters. He knows Trumbo is overpaid as a DH. Pedro Alvarez can probably be sign for half Trumbo's salary. And if Mancini and/or Walker have a good spring someone may decide they have a starter to move for offense.

Just have to wait and see what happens.

We can talk about Dan staying away from the FA pitching market but IMO his signing for FA Davis made Trumbo, Mancini and Walker trade bait. They might not be enough to get a decent pitcher right now, but that may change by Opening Day.

Dan knows he needs depth in the starters. He knows Trumbo is overpaid as a DH. Pedro Alvarez can probably be sign for half Trumbo's salary. And if Mancini and/or Walker have a good spring someone may decide they have a starter to move for offense.

I guess you are right. Still have some time yet.

Trumbo is not overpaid as a DH.

Cruz was about the same compensation coming off his PED suspension. Buck playing him in the field never helped the team. It was simply to allow him to get his value up for his next contract. A professional courtesy. Trumbo won't be traded.

Trumbo is not overpaid as a DH.

Cruz was about the same compensation coming off his PED suspension. Buck playing him in the field never helped the team. It was simply to allow him to get his value up for his next contract. A professional courtesy. Trumbo won't be traded.

I would agree here. He put up 1.6 WAR last year, it might be a slight overpay or slight bargain but even if he produces at the levels he has (2014 aside) he is not a vast overpay. I tend to think that OPACY could also boost his production. Personally I like the move to bring him in as a DH....not so much if ends up in the field much.

Duquette is on record as saying one of his primary goals this offseason was to acquire a TOR-type pitcher, a #1, #2 or #3. If he doesn't manage to pull that off in the coming weeks, the offseason will be a failure, regardless that we kept Davis...

I really don't understand this point of view... Offseason is a dynamic environment. You can't just go to the pitcher store and order a TOR at menu prices.

Archived